Live Tv.....but Where Is This Ok?

bust

" From what I hear spousal abuse is quite common in Thailand."

I don't think any more so than any other county or the circles of friends and families that I have ever known.

My father when he younger shall we say was respected by many and not a man you would want as an enemy, but he would never for a moment have hit my mother, sisters or me. However the consequences of anyone laying a finger on any of the women in our family, by anyone would have been a life decision for them.

Well in the warped Machismo that is inherent in the Asian male's psych, perhaps having a girlfriend/wife/daughter with a black eye is a social status symbol.

In NZ you'd be arrested, even if she did fall on a door knob or similar. I had a friend whose triathlete mad wife had slipped an fallen in one of the events and gained a bruise on her cheek. The next day the police were on the door step courtesy of a nosy neighbour. The police took a lot of persuading to go away.

The NZ police have a default position in domestic violence incidents, arrest the male*. Doesn't matter who is at fault.

* This is true, source is a longstanding police officer. "We let the judge sort it out".

Some 30 years years ago, I had a favourite MP gal - one who broke all the rules at the Chawala MP with me. (Rule #1 - Don't do anything but a straight massage.) She was 30-ish, had a son, and was divorced. She told me her husband had smacked her around and cheated on her. One day she had enough and bought a gun on the black market. She shot the SOB. She said, "I didn't kill him, but he decided to agree to a divorce." Not all women what put up with that crap. (She said she only worked in the MP because it provided more money than she could make doing else to support herself and her kid. Nice gal. I hope she found herself a decent guy.)