‘You Wanna Fight?’ Bangkok Moto Taxis Confront Grabbike

Flashermac

On the other side of the coin, one of the local Ma and Pa shops, near my house, decided I could pay twice as much for my beer, as everyone else and lost my business. Resulting in sour faces directed at me, every time I walked past carrying beer, from a little further up the road.

• Like 2

Well you could argue that, but my experience of the Lao, is that they'll profit where they are able.

For example, when I bought my property, I saw it once and kept far away from the negotiations, as my wife's sister, a medium level bureaucrat, played the "we're all Lao friends and family" card to the seller, achieving a price I thought was well below market levels.

One of the few deals I've ever done, where I had the winning side of the equation.

I remember go shopping with my wife when she wanted a new watch. She handled all the bargaining, with me keeping my mouth shut. Even so, she felt the price was too high. She said, "Come with me." She walked me around the corner and told me to stay out of sight. Then she went back and got the watch for her price. She told me the shop owner wouldn't come down as long as he figured a Farang was paying for it. (In fact the Farang was, but that was beside the point. She was the purchaser.)

UberMoto Goes Dark; New Moto App Coming From … Junta?

BANGKOK — UberMoto officially halted their service today after a second government order, while the junta says it will develop and launch its own mobile application for motocycle taxis.

UberMoto said it suspended service at noon on Wednesday while competitor GrabBike continues to hold out for a compromise one day after transportation officials called on both to get off the road for a second time.

“Despite receiving a warm welcome from passengers and our partner drivers, we decided to temporarily suspend UberMoto service in Bangkok from noon today,†Uber wrote in a statement.

Uber said it aims to reach an agreement with authorities in order to operate legally. It launched its pilot service offering on-demand motorcycle taxis in parts of Bangkok this past March.

GrabBike, operated by Singaporean-based Grab, wasn’t ready to throw in the towel.

“We are willing to cooperate with every related party to integrate technology for developing safer and more convenient public transportation,†read a Tuesday evening Grab statement.

The Department of Land Transport first warned both companies to stop their services March 1 as its bikes, drivers and payment rates did not comply with legal regulations.

A department official on Tuesday argued that the services were tantamount to organized crime and created unfair competition for Bangkok’s traditional motorcycle taxi operators, who have been subjected to more stringent regulation.

Col. Kanchai Prachuap-aree, who heads the junta’s regulation effort, said Tuesday that his committee has a plan to launch a legal application for Bangkok’s 80,000 registered drivers.

Users will only need their mobile phone number to registration the application, he said, which will book rides without charge. No other details or a release date were given.

After the military seized power in 2014, it moved to regulate the public transportation sector, which is known for low standards and criminality. Motorcycle taxis, who are heavily territorial and often paid neighborhood figures for patronage, were required to comply with strict new regulations such as posted fare rates at every taxi stand.

Last week a GrabBike driver was intimidated and threatened with assault by motosai when he attempted to pick up a Chulalongkorn University student from his dorm.

If they comply with regulations, it’s still unclear if Uber and Grab would be allowed to operate.

Both passengers and drivers turned to the internet to express their happiness online.

“Now how can I find a part-time job?†Facebook user Keng Pongsak wrote in reply to Uber’s message. “Shouldn’t it be the customers who choose what service they will use? And if it is illegal, why don’t you make it legal?â€

Others suggested a compromise must be possible.

“The Department of Land Transport should have offered solutions to Grab, so we can coexist,†wrote Facebook user Russia Mueanthip on Grab’s Facebook page. “We should keep a good application, not shut it down. Thailand should move forward, not stay put.â€

http://www.khaosoden...ate=06&section=

Gentlemen , as a tourist my opinion is of questionable value but here goes :

The Uber , AirB-.something and related strategies are mostly favourable for the consumer but exploit the operator in the long run . While I would want Uber to be able to operate for example in Italy with his fraudulent and terribly expensive taxistas I cannot see additional value in a country which is low cost anyway . Motorcycletaxi has become my favorite means of transportatioon in BKK although I am sure it will kill me one day , the real bastards are the tuktuk-pilots .

Hi,

I'm with BB on this. Really don't see a point for UberMoto/GrabBike. There are motorbike taxis EVERYWHERE. Can't see me using my phone to request one to come pick me up when all I usually have to do is flag down the first one passing by.

Same goes for taxis in BKK.

Sanuk!

It is quite convenient for taxis, since you get no refusals (unlike taxi drivers that won't leave the tourist areas or can't take you because they have to rush to turn in their taxi or be fined). But I don't see much point in motorcycles and was surprised to learn they'd started it.