Hitchhiker’s gratitude turns into car theft for kindhearted siblings in Udon Thani

Coss

See what happens when you're nice to someone?

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/hitchhikers-gratitude-turns-into-car-theft-for-kindhearted-siblings-in-udon-thani

Two kindhearted siblings who gave a lift to a hitchhiker yesterday in the Isaan province of Udon Thani saw their trust backfire when he stole their car.

The victim, a 29 year old woman named Khanittha, reported the incident at Mueang Udon Thani Police Station after her black Honda BR-V SUS was stolen by the unnamed hitchhiker.

Khanittha explained that she and her 36 year old brother, Apiwat, had travelled from Bangkok to Udon Thani to visit friends. However, upon arrival, they found their friends were not at home. They then decided to visit a nearby shopping mall before heading back home.

While Apiwat was parking the car, a man between 30 and 35 years old approached them and asked for a ride to Bangkok. The man claimed his home was in the Krathum Ban district of Bangkok. According to Khanittha, the man appeared to be trustworthy and well-mannered, and they saw him wearing a gold necklace, which further reinforced their trust in him. They did not inquire why he did not have any belongings or a backpack...

18 hours ago, Coss said:

Khanittha explained that she and her 36 year old brother, Apiwat, had travelled from Bangkok to Udon Thani to visit friends. However, upon arrival, they found their friends were not at home. They then decided to visit a nearby shopping mall before heading back home.

But at least you saw your relative, and I am pretty sure a 500kM drive in Oz is a lot better than trip from Bangkok to Udon

I suppose you made arrangements with your cousin before setting off on road trip, and had his mobile number in case he wasn’t ar home when you arrived.

Driving in OZ and NZ is a lot easier than it sounds, I regularly go and see my 91 yr old for lunch, 600km round trip with a 2~3 hrs lunch with him, at the mid point. Normally a 12 hour day

The only long distance I've done in LOS is Bangkok~Surin~Bangkok a few times when I was chained to the Thai wife. Surin North East, not the Island in the sea.

Laos, I've done, Vientiane~Luang Prabang~Houayxay~Chiang Rai~Chiang Mai~Nong Khai~Vientiane - note: a good way to get daughter, same age as fiancee, and fiancee  to get along. Keep them in the car together on a long trip and share a room, for overnight stays. Daughter did duty as a Chaperone, as I wasn't allowed to take MLG out of town overnight, even in separate rooms,  without a Chaperone. I got to meet a lot of her friends this way.

Seems to have worked.

Mind you none of the above is/was a brain fart momentary decision, all was and is, done with prescribed planning and aforethought :)

Bangkok to Udon I must have driven 100 times over 20 years. 

It's a very good road, lots of great and I mean great service station stops for food and fuel.

I can talk all the way and get data all the way 

Oz once you leave the big towns you only get one mo ile operator, Telstra, I use Optus and often can't get a signal. 

NZ used to be worse but the government has a program where they force the mobile operators to work together sharing towers and service

Oz? Nope

Yeah my cousin sort of knew I was coming, but it was all at the last minute.

Today I am in Rocky, I was supposed to be in Airlie Beach but changed directions last minute.

I was in the bush before thatoz roads better?

No, that Udon Bangkok is 3-5 lanes wide

Our national highways still in part shrinks to single lanes,