Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha switches party ahead of May 14 elections

Coss

Prayut Chan-o-cha, the incumbent Prime Minister of Thailand, is set to contest the upcoming elections on May 14 under a new party, United Thai Nation Party, following a split with the ruling Palang Pracharat Party which had backed him for the country’s leading role in 2019.

However, even if he gets re-elected, the 69-year-old can only serve for two more years before reaching his term limit...

“done, still doing, will keep on doing”

https://thethaiger.com/news/world/asia/thailands-prime-minister-prayut-chan-o-cha-switches-party-ahead-of-may-14-elections

Must be a slow news day over at Thaiger news, Pinocchio joined UTN last year.

On Friday, 23 December 2022, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said he had decided to apply for membership of the United Thai Nation Party and was ready to accept the nomination from party members for another term as prime minister. In the election that will be held in 2023, there has been talks with General Prawit Wongsuwon, Deputy Prime Minister and leader of the Palang Pracharath Party.It is expected that General Prayut will assume the position of party chairman and chairman of the steering committee or the party's superboard as well. In the afternoon of the same day, the Party Executive Committee convened a meeting at the Party headquarters on Soi Aree. 
From Wiki

Nakhon Si Thammarat: Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said he will quit politics if the United Thai Nation (UTN) Party, of which he is a prime ministerial candidate and its chief strategist, fails to secure enough House seats to form a government in Sunday's election. Gen Prayut made the pledge while out canvassing for support on behalf of Nonthiwat Nonthaphak, the party's election candidate running in the southern province's third constituency, during a campaign rally in Pak Phanang district. 
Source

Please be true

Hi,

Yeah, would be good to see the end of this guy's political 'career'. Seems like the least bad option is Move Forward. Don't want to see the military/conservatives anymore, but not a fan of Thaksin (and it is obviously he who would rule if his daughter wins) either.

Sanuk!

MFP haven’t got a chance unfortunately.

We saw what happened to their predecessors the Future Forward Party, first accused of being “anti-royalist Illuminati” due to having a triangle shaped symbol and then dissolved after last election on some jumped up “donation charges” due to a loan from one of its leaders Thanathorn, strange this wasn’t an issue before election results came in.

Now they are going after Pita using a clause in the constitution about being the owner or shareholder of a media company not being able to hold office. This is to stop people with control of media companies from manipulating them to their own good, not someone who inherited a few shares when his father died in a media company which ceased operations in 2007 to be thrown out and party dissolved.

Who brought the complaint? Surprise Surprise, Ruangkrai of PPRP, and why just now? Because it looks like Pita may win.

These Military / Conservative / Royalist types make me bloody sick with these stupid claims and how they also control the judicial system and the senate.

If they try to steal the election again I can see major riots, the younger voters have had enough and can see through this bullshit after bullshit after bullshit, they are nicknamed the ตาสว่าง, Tha Sawang, Bright Eyes in English because they can see what is happening.

Hi,

Yeah, pretty much sums it up. The charges last election were purely to prevent them from forming a coalition with the opposition.
And I agree as well that it is highly unlikely they'll be allowed gain any kind of power.

Gotta keep the status quo :(

Sanuk!

15 hours ago, Mekong said:

Must be a slow news day over at Thaiger news, Pinocchio joined UTN last year.

Yes I though that, but as it was a "current news story" I though that there must be some nuance I'd missed, or something lost in translation...

38 minutes ago, Coss said:

Yes I though that, but as it was a "current news story" I though that there must be some nuance I'd missed, or something lost in translation...

Well I did blame Thaiger for publishing late news and not you for posting in this instance