Soon 600 Thais to be evacuated a day from Israel, says PM, as death toll rises to 30...

Coss

Note: my apologies for diminishing the tragedies, that are occurring in the Middle East for Thais and everyone else, this article was too stupid to pass uncommented. JMHO.

The UN secretary-general has expressed his condolences over the loss of Thai lives in Israel, Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin said on Wednesday, as the Israeli government confirmed the death of another Thai, raising fatalities to 30.

(Coss Comment: Someone important say nice thing about Thai )

The Israeli government confirmed the death to the Thai embassy in Tel Aviv on Wednesday, although it was not clear when the latest victim had died.

(Coss Comment: which day is very important.)

The number of injured remained unchanged at 16 while 18 are presumed to have been taken hostage by Hamas.

Srettha was speaking to reporters in Beijing on Wednesday morning.

He met UN Secretary-General António Guterres on the sidelines of the 3rd Belt and Road Initiative forum.

Srettha said he had told the UN chief that despite Thailand not being a party to the conflicts over Palestine, it had suffered the second highest death toll after the US.

(Coss Comment: Thailand has the goal of becoming the hub for death tolls and will soon lead the world. TAT predicts 200 million by 2027)

Srettha said the UN secretary-general was shocked by the loss of Thai lives and expressed his condolences.

(Coss Comment: Shocked by the overall tragedy of the war more likely, not singling out Thai deaths)

Srettha said the UN chief told him that he would travel to Egypt and visit the area near the Gaza Strip to pressure for an end to the war as soon as possible.

On the repatriation of Thai workers from Israel, Srettha said the government could repatriate about 400 Thais per day and would soon be able to increase the capacity to 600 a day.

(Coss Comment: soon...)

The prime minister added that the Thai government was not complacent about the safety of the remaining Thai workers in Israel.

(Coss Comment: haven't we got a Lèse-majesté law for this? who said complacent? Have him arrested)

He said Foreign Minister Parnpree Bahiddha-Nukara was in the process of seeking permission for the use of ports of Middle East nations to repatriate Thais by sea.

Srettha said the US has repatriated its 1,500 to 2,000 citizens by boat to Cyprus but the Israeli ports have been closed.

(Coss Comment: someone else is doing a much better job but as you can see it's not our fault the ports have been closed...)

The prime minister added that many Thais were still unable to leave the risky zones in Israel and dozens of Thais could not reach the airport in time for their flights although they had registered with the Thai embassy for repatriation.

(Coss Comment: it's really hard...)

He said the Supreme Commander of the Thai Armed Forces had been trying to coordinate with the Israel Defence Forces, seeking help to evacuate Thais from risky zones as soon as possible.

(Coss Comment: Supreme, Ultimate, Highest, Top, Principal, Supereminent, Bigger and Higher than any one else... asking for help...)

Srrettha also urged the remaining Thais to decide as soon as possible whether they want to continue working in Israel at their own risk or return to Thailand.

(Coss Comment: Stay if you want...)

“The risk is on you. The government has a duty to repatriate people fast and safe after you make a decision to return home,” Srettha said.

(Coss Comment: Up to you...)

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40032008

6 hours ago, Coss said:

Srettha said he had told the UN chief that despite Thailand not being a party to the conflicts over Palestine, it had suffered the second highest death toll after the US.

But Thailand government policies of low pay for agriculture workers, no safety net of social support for the unemployed, property developers buying up land (i.e. Sansiri of which Sretha was CEO before Becoming PM) etc which FORCED 30:000 Thais to travel to Israel for work to support their families.

So whilst not directly involved in the Middle East conflict, Government policies have given many Thais no option then to travel to an area of instability and to be cannon fodder

Coss ever tried to move around in a place in severe civil strife. Sometimes it's best not to try to escape, the road may be a hotspot, sometimes there is no transport for love or money regardless if you want to travel and are willing to risk travel. Having been in that situation a few times, I just don't get your sarcasm, it's a bit condescending?

MPIH, I'm not slagging the problems and tragedies occurring in the Middle East.

I'm dissing the article and it's language - the Nation often does a poor job of English and this combined with a Thai politician's tendency, to put a shine on any piece of shit, means we get articles, that are - as  I say - too dumb to let pass unmolested.

So for clarity, I'm being rude about the writing, and the Politician's craft, not the facts.

• Thanks 1

So I'm guessing these Thais referred to in the article would be mainly "Domestic Helpers"

I wonder what was promised and how most feel now about their choices now.

I have always disapproved of this type of exploitation of disadvantaged. Not singling out this particular situation.

On another note I can't say I surprised but still angered by the lack of outside support or assistance to the Palestinians. I know here in Australia the Government is urgently arranging repatriation flights from Telaviv for Australians but seems no assistance for anyone connected to Palestine. While i don't for a moment defend Hamas I believe a majority of Palestinians don't support their actions either.

Interestingly there are more Christian than Muslim Palestinians in Australia.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bust said:

So I'm guessing these Thais referred to in the article would be mainly "Domestic Helpers"

On 10/19/2023 at 8:50 AM, Mekong said:

But Thailand government policies of low pay for agriculture workers,

Some 30,000 Thai farmhands were employed in Israel until the war with Hamas broke out, with around 5,000 of them working in communities close to the Gaza Strip, where 75% of the country’s vegetables are grown.

Paying in Blood

The Thais caught up in the Israel-Gaza war

In a village lying close to the Mekong River, Weerapon "Golf" Lapchan sits in the centre of a group of Thai elders as they tie white threads around his wrists and chant. 

They are literally calling his "kwan" or spirit back to his body, after his narrow escape during the Hamas attack on Israel on 7 October.

The 34-year-old is one of more than 25,000 Thais who were working on farms and orchards in Israel when the Hamas militants stormed in from Gaza. At least 30 Thais were among the 200 or so foreign nationals who were killed in the attack. 

Now the Thai government is helping others, thousands of them, to return home. 

Thailand provides almost all the foreign farm labour in Israel. And there have been warnings of dire consequences for the country's agricultural economy if large numbers of Thais choose to stay away after the Hamas attack. Many of the Thai workers have to borrow money to go to Israel and now they are returning, jobless and in debt.

Full Article