a round of applause for GTG!

pattaya127

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"it is better not to speak Thai in some places in Thailand when she is with her husband"

Out of interest, what sort of places?

I think more Thais have this attitude because they grow up in a relatively homogeneous society. They didn't grow up with people of many different colours and nationalities because there weren't any foreigners in their schools. It's there, in those formative years that I met and mingled with people of all races, religions and social groups.

Hello,

Bars, discotheques, dance halls, wherever that she thinks the stereotypes of Thai women with the company of foreign men may apply. Frankly, she and I do not feel it is necessary, but being human, nasty looks and behavior sometimes can disturb us. The looks have not bothered me much for the past 5 times in Thailand, but some behavior still does, however, I have realized that nothing really changes what we really are. I posted once that I was asked for a ?VD? card at a ballroom dance place in Chiangmai, the incident probably would not have occured if I were perceived as a non Thai.

The last time I was in Pattaya 17 years ago with 2 Arabs and 1 American men. We were checking out beer bars, perhaps of my English or the fact that I was with 4 foreign men, people at the bars thought I was anything but Thai. They spoke Thai, thinking that I could not understand it, saying that ?This woman, fat and not good looking, how come she got all 4 good looking men!?. I kept straight face, well, that was 17 years ago and I was 15 lbs. lighter! They would probably call me obese and elderly by next time. The 3 men were inundated with requests for company though, go figure! Some information can be found when some thinks you cannot understand the language.

I grew on a Burma/Thailand border, and met many foreigners for my father's work was around a few nationalities. I agree with your thinking that the experience we had when young does have great influlence on how we feel about people, most important for me, it opens my mind for different cultures and walks of life.

Cheers!

The 3 men were inundated with requests for company though, go figure! Some information can be found when some thinks you cannot understand the language.

--------------------------------------

Not exactly my experience, but many of my friends are often hit upon by women when they are with their TGFs. It seems that these girls love to steal a man away from another woman. About thai language, i am far from fluent, but sometimes, i pick out the conversation from a few words and say something. They don't really get phased out, they know i am smart wink.gif. More funny is when 2 salesgirls talk about you in a store, you have no idea what it is about, you just know it's about you, and in your best thai possible, you say a word or 2. then they blush and think you understood their conversation.

Ah - those situations. I used to blush first, because they were usually saying something quite complementary. Now, older and more cynical, I more often suspect that they know I can understand and they're just testing me out.

Jeez - being asked for a VD card in a disco! Can you imagine that happening in the UK?

Archived