a round of applause for GTG!

pattaya127

Thanks for the invite. I will open a general thread as soon as I can. I have read some of the posts, got a little confused and on the Khun GTG posts, she gave her opinions as a person who has lived in Thailand and she has seen what is going on more than I have for I have been away from Thailand for over 30 years. Beg your pardon for the lack of time to read all of the posts carefully, and assuming that there is no hidden agenda amongs GTG and and some posters, I sensed that GTG was trying to express her opinion and feelings she has on prostitution. Some wordings can be read as too personal, harsh and out of context but the feelings expressed are shared amongst many Thais, the same as some US middle class feel about prostitution.

I spent only 19 years of my life in Thailand and all those 19 years I was a student. I have been exposed to Thai bar girls and ex-bar-girls in Germany and the US and I did have some opportunities as an interpreter to help a few women. In the position as an interpreter, I got close to a few of these women and I do count my blessings that I have had a chance to know some of them. I refused to help 2 of the then-bar girls for what asked of me was against my values, if some of you want to know what was asked I will post, I do not want to talk badly about ALL of these women for the situation they were in seemed to be very difficult for them (again, it is a matter of perception?).

Still I reserve my right to judge as individuals for I really do not know what I would have done if I were in their situation even though I have been in situation of poverty, believe me I know what not having money or food is. I am lucky that I had parents who believed in education and knew how to live within our means. Three meals a day when I was in school in Bangkok were a luxery. I went to a Thai high school with rich kids and I was envious of their Mercedes and beautiful clothes, but being brought up the way I was, money is not something one would lose the dignity for. But was I really hungry, did I sleep on a dirt floor? NO.

What really bother me are the ex-bar girls who are married and are living here in the USA who are still behaving like they are still in the prostitution business. Mind you, I met good ex-bar girls more than I met bad ones. Known of a few of them who are still running around like ones. Used to live in a small town in Louisiana, which has a Thai prostitute (she is in her 40s) who has given some men?s opinion of Thai women as easy and cheaper than American born ones. I knew this woman and helped her out a few times but I was not her friend, not because she was a prostitute but because she was trying to sell the ?Thainess?. Well, cannot blame the men?s opinion, more men know her than they know other Thai women for some of us are not easy to get to know.

There are times that GTG opinions appeared to be strong and harsh. It seems that her experience is different than mine. Khun GTG, please read my next sentence with a "jai yen" ok? Calling someone "stupid" gets them too angry and usually turns them off even though I felt you were quite aggravated (enough said and NOT intend to hurt or flame). I did not know any women who worked in bars when I lived in Thailand; I only met some of them in the USA and Germany. I have to admit that my only brother and his wife feel very much the same as GTG. Once I was asked how some ?farangs? could fall in love with a prostitute and took her to his homeland and expect to be happy? My answer was very long and pointed out that some couples work the relationship out (I am an incurable romantic). However, I stated that if the Thai society has more opportunities and with income good enough to survive, prostitution may become the last choice. I am not ignorant of the poverty in parts of Thailand; I grew up in a small village in the North and saw the parents sold or forced their daughters into prostitution and my family, especially my father was very much against it. However, many poor girls do not want to go into prostitution.

I find that most of these women have no opportunities or limited at best, and a chance to change their lives is better than none. I do not condone prostitution but let us look at another side of the coin. These women, at this time are happy changing their lives, hopefully for the better and their ?farangs? (Gosh, I hate to use the word) are happy helping them. Without this type of help, can these women find ways to extricate themselves from bars as we all know that financial gains from prostitution is temparary?

Cheers!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belgianboy,

And how are you today?

Thais having prejudices a new concept for you?

What is the basis of your suggestion? Just because you don't agree with or like a post it doesn't mean that it is inappropriate. As a moderator, you should learn to be impartial in your views. You obviously have a bias of favouritism towards GTG, as evidenced in your post of 2002/07/11 supporting her. A bias of favouritism or unfavouritism is prejudice. Hopefully you are reasonable enough to acknowledge this.

BTW, I may have been registered for only 2 days, but I also may have been lurking for longer than you have been registered. So I've seen her previous posts. Of what relevance are how many posts I have made, or long I?ve been here? Are you using this to judge people?

Just having a bit of fun Blackstack?..i tried growing up and it sucks. After several years living with young runaways whose mental age I have to adopt to survive and three young puppies things get pretty silly. regression can be therapeutic?try it sometime...?

On a more serious note irrespective of the duration of enregistrement (sp?) and/or lurking (a perfidious practice) Khun Belgian Boy and High Thaied are our esteemed moderators whose words must be heeded on pain of severe retribution.... even carding. I don?t always agree with GTG but she keeps up pretty well with the blokes and nothing much fazes her? from that perspective she?s a shining example. as she is a lady and we are all fine gentlemen here we must be respectful at all times notwithstanding her view. Think of your valuable reputation and thank you for your patience. Yo. now we can get back to playing silly games with the puppies.

PS. Speaking of perfidious, as an Englishman I look to history and innumerable precedents handed down by the famed, glorious and insufferable ?Perfidious Albion? and thus absolve myself from all rules (except BB?s)

sawadee krap & jai yen

==

3d

I haven't been reading this thread.

Quite frankly, I think it's frivolous. This thread is like a popularity contest.

So, in that vane (or is it vein?). How about a few cheers for gummigut.

You touch it and it's soft.

You tap it and it wiggles like Jello. Isn't that a happy thought?

You rub it and it's smooth and unwrinkly.

Makes a great headrest!

<<burp>>

Precisely. Why treat her so differently? I find it patronising to give her a little pat for being brave enough to face deadly (yet anonymous) arguments. It's suggesting that grown women can't stand up for themselves and need to be treated with kid gloves in case the delicate little beings should break down and cry.

Imagine if the subject of this thread was a man!

Bibblies

If supporting her to some degree or other is different or patronizing then that?s what it is, if that?s how you see it.

it?s just a point of view; Thai female contributors are rare and they stand out more than you and me.

Just as some posters think women should be treated with the same rules we apply to men, so too we don't have to agree with them either or trash every traditional notion of the way men and women relate to each other, at the same time i reserve the right to go for the throat if she tweaks hard enough to hurt.

so far, however, nothing ranks with TEDBKK?s post for patronizing sarcasm and personal attack. here's a man who's actually offended (capitalized for some reason) by gtg?s simple statement: ?ask her to call us Pii instead of Khun??

TEDBKK, in what way is she offensive,

would you please explain?

==

3d

Archived