Nanaplaza on speed!

khunsanuk

Hi,

This is what we are currently running:

Sun Ultra-1E/200. Single CPU, 200 Mhz (about equal to PII-400). Ultra-SCSI disks.

I don't know exactly what my partner is looking for, but I think he mentioned something like E-420R.

Adikgede:

I have no idea why my partner is thinking about Sun. To be honest, I don't know anything about heavy duty servers like this. He does, which is why I leave these decisions up to him. I'll ask him to look into this thread and answer you himself.

Sanuk!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Sounds a good idea, how does one pitch in"

Once (need to be optimistic smile.gif ) we reach a high enough number of pledges, I will give some payment options. They will likely include:

- payment by secure server / credit card

- payment in person

Sanuk!

Hi,

"I take in a switch back to UBB classic is out of the question?"

Why on earth would we want to do that?

With the volume we are doing on this board using UBB classic would very likely drop performance drastically.

Sanuk!

?? Why not consider a more open hardware platform for the sake of economy both in the initial purchase and upgradeability. You can probably get a pretty fine dual cpu x86 computer for well under $3000 and have plenty of money left over to replace disks upgrade cpus or add RAM later. ??

I run a big data center with a long list of web servers. They are almost all Suns, and this gives us a tremendous advantage in reliability, security and stability. There are some price advantages to the PC hardware, but... (fill in your favorite proverb about "you get what you pay for").

The server that runs nanaplaza.com is a Sun Ultra1; since the move to UBBThreads, the cpu is mightily overtaxed (runs less than 50% idle day and night). I'd like to upgrade to a Sun 420R, which on Ebay goes for around $5000 (a similar quality system from Dell or Compaq would be similar in price). I would prefer not to trade reliability for price by switching to low-ball PC hardware. This will give us plenty of room for expansion and growth and the many new services that KS and others would like to add. By keeping a compatible hardware platform, the changeover will be a simple task that most users will never notice.

cheers,

Jigger

Jigger,

I completely agree with your point about Sun hardware/OS vs (basically) PC hardware. It has been my experience also that Sun hardware is much more stable and secure.

Also, checking ebay as regards the 420R, $5000 seems like a reasonable offer. I suppose it may also depend how many people offer to contribute $50 as to what kind of bid you would/could make. I assume you would make the offer on ebay?

Maybe a few of us can low-ball a bid around $1500!!!! smile.gif

Archived