Nanaplaza on speed!

khunsanuk

Hi,

A few days ago a poster complained about the board being rather slow lately. He of course was correct. The reason for this is that our server can no longer really cope with the load of the message board.

One of the things we are trying to improve this is to install UBBT 6.0.1, but this would likely not make a huge improvement. What we really need is a faster server with more memory. Unfortunately, these things are not cheap.

The one that my partner suggested, and which would make a huge improvement to the response time, is a 4 processor Ultra Sparc with 4Gb of memory. The price: $5,000!

And mentioning this in the previous thread is when I got a big surprise. Several members came forward prepared to chip in $50 each to help us buy this server. So far 16 people have graciously plegged their support, and their wallet smile.gif, to help out.

Unfortunately the thread was a bit un-aptly named which is why many of you many not have seen it, which is one of the reasons I now bring this up again (the other is of course that we would love to get a new server for free smile.gif ).

So, here's the deal. We need 100 guys to each give us $50 to allow us to buy this server. In return we will give these guys:

- 3 months access to the memberarea

- space on our server for their avatar

- a custom title on the board, say "Board Supporter" (open to other suggestions)

Oh, and of course we will all get the benefits of a faster board *.

Those members that have already graciously pledged their support are;

- Billywan

- DoxyBlue

- Elef

- High Thaied

- HSTeach

- Joeyjojo

- JP1

- Old Hippie

- Patom

- Peckieboy

- Sanukdee

- Straycat

- TedBKK

- Think_too_mut

- Tyler_Durden

- UPSer

Sanuk!

* A little sidenote here. Obviously our server is only part of the experience, if your connection to the Internet is slow a bigger/faster server will likely not make much of a difference.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • [color:blue]"if your connection to the Internet is slow a bigger/faster server will likely not make much of a difference."color=blue>

I am usually using a slow internet-connection, but no problem, I will help. So, put me on your list too :-)

KS,

This is a good deal for you !

Since you already have a pretty nice webserver, and I believe it is somewhat new even (less than 2 years old), then you or your partner should have either another use for it or could sell it.

So, instead of USD 5,000 needed - maybe the board members could contribute half of this amount (USD 2,500). So now you would only need 50 members at 50 dollars per member to contribute.

Also, do you mean 3 months access or 3 YEARS ? Renewal access is only USD 29.00 / year, so three years would be more in line with what your offering.

Count me in - I believe that this is now 22 members or so.

Cheers!

Put me in also!

How 'bout payment? I am in Bangkok now for at least one more week, can I pay cash?

Sunny Valentine alias Peter Pun

Hi,

"So, instead of USD 5,000 needed - maybe the board members could contribute half of this amount (USD 2,500). So now you would only need 50 members at 50 dollars per member to contribute."

I doubt we would be able to get $2,500 for a 2-3 year old server (I kinda doubt it even cost that much), but I understand your reasoning. So, yes, I suppose we don't really need to make it to $5,000. It would need to be more than $2,500 though.

"Also, do you mean 3 months access or 3 YEARS ?"

3 months access. It is meant as a way of saying 'thank you for your support', not as a way to get a bunch of new members for the memberarea.

Sanuk!

Hi,

"so what happens if we only get 50?"

To be honest, I don't know yet which is why I will not accept any money until it seems feasible we can get enough to buy the server.

So, I guess that if we don't make it, nothing will change.

Sanuk!

Archived