Nanaplaza on speed!

khunsanuk

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always the doubting Thomas.

I am sure your partner has good reasons for using Sun, but if your budget is such that you are asking for donations don't you think it would be wise to consider alternatives. After all is running Apache MySQL and PHP so radically different on freebsd, linux or other unix that these platforms don't warrant consideration. Even if you don't buy all the open OS (whichever flavour) TCO hype the fact that they run on commodity x86 hardware gives them a huge price advantage over a restricted platform like Ultra Sparc. Is your man talking about a Sun brand computer or an OEM Ultra Sparc like rave.net (among many)?

Why not consider a more open hardware platform for the sake of economy both in the initial purchase and upgradeability. You can probably get a pretty fine dual cpu x86 computer for well under $3000 and have plenty of money left over to replace disks upgrade cpus or add RAM later.

AG

I did a search on Ebay.com for "ultrasparc" and there are many types available. In order to get an idea of a competitive price can you be more specific about the system you are talking about? (ie., Ultrasparc II or III, how many Mhz, you did say 4G of RAM with 4 CPUs...)

I'm not an expert on Sun hardware so I don't know off the top of my head how many processors these machines come with or can support. But here are some examples currently offered:

SUN UltraSPARC III 900 MHz CPU X7009A $4000

Sun X2590A 466/464-MHZ UltraSPARC w/8MB eCach $4000

Sun 480MHz UltraSPARC II - E450 - (X2248A) $3000

The above prices are are ASKING prices and the postings are relatively new so no one has bid on these yet, but typically the sale price would be much less.

Archived