Why do TG become BG's?

Well the issue here is, as I see it, if we should ask why there are so many prostitutes or why there are so many bar girls? In my opinion there are definitely more bar girls in Thailand but the total number of prostitutes is more or less the same as in other Asian countries. The question to be asked will also have an impact on the answer.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right that your analysis shows that any numbers above say 700,000 would be very unrealistic. However, what I wanted to say is that there are men also in other Asian countries, Australia, the US and Europe. So what is the difference ? Wouldn't you expect roughly the same number of prostitutes per head in each country (unless in some countries it is accepted for men to go to the local brothel and in others it is not)?

>Wouldn't you expect roughly the same number of prostitutes per head in each country (unless in some countries it is accepted for men to go to the local brothel and in others it is not)? <

no, you wouldn't.

the situation in the west is very different from here in thailand. you have a very large amount of migrant labour here in thailand. work is available in only a few industrial centers here, so many husbands have to leave their wifes in the village.

in the west you do not have an impoverished countryside where people can just survive while because of the option of prostitution women can make more then ten times the amount of money per month they could ever hope for making in any other available job ouside the prostitution business.

in the west you do not have a the backlash in the villages of a pseudo boom which has torn the traditional village structures completely apart and a subsequent crises which left huge parts of the population unemployed without any governmental assistence whatsoever.

in the west you do not have a such huge sector of the population who are landless farm labours or small scale farmers barely able to survive from the little land they still have.

in many villages you have a different kind of prostitution coming up now too, sex for amphetamines.

basically, in the west and more developed countries in asia women have a lot more options than here in thailand. here they have the option to be poor or to have a chance of making it by entering prostitution. cutural stability which might keep women from prostituting themselves is rapidly disappearing in the land of smiles.

the only comparism you could make between the west and thailand right now is the situation in the west during the industrialisation in that respect. huge parts of the population uprooted. incredible changes during a very short time in the whole economy, where only very small sectors of the society actually could benefit from, not more than 20 to 30 %.

and yes, i believe that the amount of prostitutes in thailand has risen significantly since the beginning of the crises esp. in the western oriented prostitution.

before the crises was no "clinton plaza", no "asoke plaza", no beer bars at soi 10, no beer bar area in soi 24, there was very little streetprostitution along sukhumvit.

and that is just bangkok...

OK.

you can read up in many books about china's early postrevolutionary years the policy of reeducating former prostitutes. some of the books would be edgar snows works on china. prostitution was one of the "social evils" to be eradicated.

personally, i have seen the visibility of prostitution rising tremendously in the last ten years in china, i have been many times all over china.

SuperFly, You are dodging the question from DB. Edgar Snow! China! You have read a few books about China! I thought this thread was about LOS. You should think about going into politics.

and yes, i believe that the amount of prostitutes in thailand has risen significantly since the beginning of the crises esp. in the western oriented prostitution.

-------------------------------------------

sound post. i have one stat only about 97. My GF, already a mother, went to Pattaya on her own, after the crisis forced her to work longer hours for less money in her factory. She already worked 10 to 12 hours a day, so..... Like many, she did not exactly started to "work", just got another couple shitty job, and after a few propositons from farangs, she said yes to one nice enough, you guys can guess the rest..... I will be the last one to judge her.

i think DB's question was in respect of my statement about that there were less prostitutes in communist contries here in asia (at the time you could call them still communist).

>You have read a few books about China!<

more than a few.

sorry, but i am not going post my entire library on china (more than 100 books ranging from the classics over political analyses, philosophy, anthropological researches to novels and shortstories of the different communist aeras) and its contents on a message board, that would take a disussion a bit too far.

neither am i going to post my visa stamps in my passports of the last years to show that i have spent more than six months in china on several journeys here on the message board.

nor will i post here the adresses of friends of mine who have lived years in china.

if you are that eager to make that statistic, then please, just go and buy some books concerning that topic.

Archived