Why do TG become BG's?

In the book "Guns, Girls, Gambling, Ganja" it is stated in the chapter on prostitution that "The range of the estimates in the literature vary from a low of 65,000 to a high of 2.8 million. In the absence of reliable statistics, researchers have to decide what estimates to use to suit their different purposes".

The authors also concluded that 2.8 million is unrealistic as it is more or less equal to the total number of women aged 15-29 who live in municipal areas and use 200,000 in their estimates of the economic consequences.

Then we have the question how this compares to other Asian countries.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after writing this report, golly, she got a job at an NGO. 'mazin'...

--------------------------------

What do you mean? We were talking about funding based on inflated numbers of people who need help, but i do not see how much "untruth" in studies there should be in CV for the typical researcher who likes to travel and build up a humanitarian resume. If she had said 400 000, she would not get the job? IMO, To not get a job in a NGO, i think you'd have to say sex in Asia is just great, too bad very few prostitutes, aids??? pffff, poverty? propaganda to get fundings. Anyhting short of that, here's your landrover.........

you can't choose a street without sex on sale and say, see!: nothing....... I do not think we have been talking about the same subject, because of all the fuzzy maths. Who cares if Thailand has less or more than any other country. We are only addressing the high visibility (not your eyes, knowledge of it-wise) Of girls for tourists, and to the nay-sayers: Yes! Pattaya means a lot about the originality of Thailand as a tourist sex scene, and you will not find one city that big in the world that has been built because foreigners were enjoying the company of local girls.

My initial post was about why, not how many. We straying a bit off line here.

As to the number of prostitutes in Thailand, officially zero. Its illegal you know. Only a handful of criminal female minds still at it, but I guess most of them are locked up by know

cheers

Interesting. Coming it at from a different angle, and employing conservative numbers that apparantly do not include foreign visitors, DoxyBlue arrives at a similiar figure as the study I cited.

I acknowledge that there is an element of uncertainity here on the numbers, but remember it was those that claim that prostitution is as prevalent in Thailand as elsewhere who first cited (unsubstantiated) statistics and studies. Statistics are certainly more reliable than simply assertions that "I just know...," and DoxyBlue's analysis shows that you can intelligently analyze the situation and at least get a good feeling for what numbers are reasonable and what are not.

The relevance of all of this to the original question, which was 'why TGs become BGs'? That is a good question, and there is a good answer. If prostitution is more prevelant in Thailand than other countries, it stongly suggest that there is something different about Thailand. It not simply a matter of simple economics or some other universal factor common to all countries. There is more to it than that.

Gadfly1:

"If prostitution is more prevelant in Thailand than other countries, it stongly suggest that there is something different about Thailand."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A tolerant religion and a live and let live way of life?

Archived