Why do TG become BG's?

the facts or studies could have conformed to her own views as well, without having to "sell" a NGO-fitting profile. I do not know what the study was about, but i am quite sure that in the medical field, there is a lot to achieve still in LOS provinces or BKK slums. having met a few NGO doctors in France and around Asia, their skills as doctors were a better "sell" and i do not think they had to propose a field study on top. If her wants were an executive status in a NGO, definitely i am sure she had the proper profile already as i first said. Anyway, just the number alone does not say much about her papers, and most certainly, numbers vary grandly for each NGO study. My 2 satangs

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for replying from the second page of this large thread, may have no time to read it all....

Pattaya127:>Ok, tell us where is the australian Pattaya, ...

I'm not replying to P127, just supporting his question for another poster.

OK, I live in the heart of what is as close as it gets to Oz Pattaya - Kings Cross.

I might tell you - look at any two large BKK bars and you will have more prostitutes in them than in the entire Cross area - which is most densely populated corner of Australia.

i think making here a statistic about the numbers is completely fruitless. first of all you have to find a definition about what is prostitution, there are many grey areas of prostitution here. also so only brothels, gogo bars etc. were talked about, but not the villagespecific forms of prostitution, they are rather different.

a big flaw is also the estimate of thai men on average visiting once a month a prostitute. i seriously doubt that a poor village man can afford to do that.

there are just too many variables which can seriously flaw any statistic.

i have read too many comparisms here between thailand and western countries or other more developed countries in the region. sorry, cannot do. singapore and hongkong have neither the impoverished countryside nor the completely out of hand drug situation thailand has.

also the arguments concerning the long "history" of prostitution here are simplifications. in the very old days availability of prostitutes was mainly reserved for the very thin upper classes, during the first chinese immigration wave that changed. that was when the first larger scale brothels appeared on charoen krung. at that time the "middle" classes slowly started coming up and imitated the life of the rich, where minor wifes and prostitutes were rather common.

the vietnam war futher industrialised the scenery.

there are just so many complicated factors in the sociological change of thailand contributing to the scene we see here today.

one can't exclude the many different points. a culture which is very tolerant in terms of personal freedom, a very strict class system, the rising hopelessness and desperation upcountry, the very recent changes during the boom and the subsequent crises.

one point brought up during the discussion there was very interesting, and that was the communist victory in vietnam and laos, there we don't see the widespread prostitution we can see in thailand (and indonesia, and cambodia after the end of the civil war).

food for thought?

Quote: "A tolerant religion and a live and let live way of life?"

That may be part of it.

The debate about whether the sex industry is more prevalent in Thailand than most other countries is already pretty lively. I cannot even begin to imagine where a discussion about why there is such a difference will take the thread. I could get dangerous.

one point brought up during the discussion there was very interesting, and that was the communist victory in vietnam and laos, there we don't see the widespread prostitution we can see in thailand

flyonzewall, are you serious?

Prostitution is very much visible in Vietnam. And in China - they've already developed prostitution as a kind of art (same as in the good old days of pre communist China). Vietnam is going the way of China. With more economic liberties they'll also have to cope more and more with prostitution because of the growing disparity btw. rich and poor. The Vietnamese as well as the Chinese would never admit this but it's a matter of facts.. Communist regimes are as corrupt as any other form of government if not more. Let's face the reality and not fly red ballons.

the time china and vietnam were still communistic there was very little prostitution there. has nothing to do with "flying red ballons".

laos has very little prostitution, and the communist party is still more in control there than in both china and vietnam. that is independent of supporting that system there or not. it just is so.

flyonzewall,

yes, maybe Laos has only a little prostitition but the country is also decades behind Vietnam and centuries behind China. A kind of 'stone age communism', comparable perhaps to North Korea which I don't know personally.

it seems that you also don't know laos very well.

that "stone age communism" there was aways a very mild form compared to many other countries. you can travel freely there and have a look yourself, which you can't do that well in north korea.

another reason that laos is "decades behind vietnam and centuries behind china" is that laos is a landlocked country, the largest part mountainous, very inaccessible. don't forget too, that laos was bombed to pieces not that long ago, the little infrastructure it had completely destroyed. it received more bombs than were thrown in WW2, mainly by the amercans, but also by the vietnamese. and it still fights a civil war in some areas, funded by hmongs living in hawaii, tolerated by the US government.

large areas esp. in xian quang province are still heavily mined and full of unexploded ordonance and not possible to plant anything.

china, by the way, is not that well off as it seems to be. the NPL situation there is worse than it ever was in thailand, unemployment is rising steadily, and in the more impoverished northern provinces there are regular large scale farmer uprisings.

china is only by name communist, reality is that china is nowadays maybe the most brutal capitalist country on earth.

Archived