Why do TG become BG's?

A lot of these stats are done via organistaions who require funding...thus the exageration.

------------------------------------

Not always, but i read enough of these studies to see that the researcher had often pre-judged the subject and decided before hand what would the conclusion. To be fair, When Thailand grabs you, it's hard to be objective. I have mostly admiration for the women of Thailand, whatever they chose to do to make ends meet. I am not surprised if 60% of college students are women. because you see, it's the thai men we could do without (in general and of course...in all subjectivity).

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pattaya127,

Are you sure you are a white guy? Are you light white or dark white? Where i come from, it makes a difference......

I think Monkey is correct about NGOs usually fudging a little on statistics to prove or disprove their hypsotheses. The guy was talking in generalizations so give the guy a break. Of course not in every single case, but the tendency is there to do so.......

Cardinalblue

Are you light white or dark white

--------------------------------

depends if you see me at the beginning of my stay or at the end? smile.gif

The stat about the 700 000 prostitutes was done under the auspice of Mahidol U. Not sure there is NGO or extra funding involved. I questiooned the 8,5% result anyway.

>>Should this white boy look down on them in all.... fairness? <<

Hope you didn't mean me by "this white boy". Not looking down on any color.

I think you forgot something very important. I was not the one who first brought up statistics. The whole issues of statistics and purported studies were first brought up by members claiming that prostitution is as prevalent in Thailand as elsewhere.

And, of course, we do not know the source of your claim that estimate on the number of "prostitutes in Thailand range from 300,000- 2.8million."

In any event, I do find it peculiar that those who first brought up purported statistics to claim that prostitution is as prevalent in Thailand as elsewhere, now claim that all statistics on this subject are worthless.

The unsubstantiated statistics were presumably raised in the first place because the visible evidence - obvious to anyone who has ever visited Thailand - certainly doesn't support the conclusion that prostitution is as prevalent in Thailand as elsewhere. Quite the contrary.

The unsubstantiated stastitics approach having failed to work, we now hear that not only are statistics untrustworthy, but we cannot trust what we can see with our own two eyes, as expressed in: "We cannot surmise based on "visibility".

What then do we base our opinions on? Ouija boards? The bluster of bar stool pundits? Statements that begin with "I just know..."?

I am certainly persuaded by these sorts of things, aren't you wink.gif ?

>the visible evidence - obvious to anyone who has ever visited Thailand -

>certainly doesn't support the conclusion that prostitution is as prevalent in Thailand as elsewhere. Quite the contrary.

What is this "visible evidence obvious to anyone"? I would say the evidence is not obvious unless you indulge in the scene here or elsewhere.

Late night streetwalkers on Sukhumvit Road "sex tourist alley"? 'Anyone' would not see them, if they are staying on Khao Sarn Road or the more upscale tourist hotels on Silom Road or Siam Square. If you hit the 'wrong' street in any European big city you will see comparable or even more blatant sights.

All those bar beers with girls working and trying to attract customers to the premises? The pressure is so low that you may easily pay a visit and not notice anything, especially if you have farang female company of your own. The only tell-tale sign might be ugly old customers groping the girls without being thrown out on their ears, if you are unlucky enough to run across some rude ones. I knew by hearsay all about the infamous go-go bars in advance, but I was rather flabbergasted to realise after some visits that also the girls in bar beers were available for takeout.

Massage parlours? A normal visitor is unlikely to realise that those huge buildings are not warehouses. The ones with more garish signs might be confused with karaoke clubs. Of course, many of those are also part of the prostitution business here, but how would the normal visitor have a clue?

The go-go bars? Well, even a normal tourist is likely to know about those by hearsay, but the fact is that in some countries even in-your-face nudity on stage does not mean that the performers are up for sale.

So what is the "visible evidence obvious to anyone"? Are you sure you can recognise the comparable visible evidence 'elsewhere' for what it really is? For instance, in many countries some newspapers have pages and pages of 'personals' and ads for 'massage', but you will have no clue what they really mean unless you read the local language and know the appropriate slang due to being a punter.

Wagner

>Last, 690,000 prostitutes would be 8.25% of the 8,350,000 of thai women 18-35 in 2002

And 18-35 is of course too conservative. The upper limit is clearly at least 45 - I ended up with a Thermae 'girl' that old! Sadly the lower limit is also certainly less than 18.

Wagner

The unsubstantiated stastitics approach having failed to work, we now hear that not only are statistics untrustworthy, but we cannot trust what we can see with our own two eyes, as expressed in: "We cannot surmise based on "visibility".

What then do we base our opinions on? Ouija boards? The bluster of bar stool pundits? Statements that begin with "I just know..."?

I am certainly persuaded by these sorts of things, aren't you ?

[color:purple] When you speak about prostitution there is just way too much that is unknown. I know enough about it to know that I don't know much.

I don't put faith in statistics because they can be skewed, manipulated, analyzed poorly or be the result of a faulty model.

I don't put faith in everything I see because there is much that is not transparent to me. My philosophy is to be skeptical until proven otherwise. color=purple>

Archived