orange juice

BelgianBoy

Maybe I'm wrongly assuming that his suggestion was not more than a troll. Klong Toey is not what one would call a typical shopping district. It is in fact a slum riddled with yah bah abuse and crime. His suggestion that the place to purchase oranges would be the same seems a little sarcastic to me. Maybe I'm wrong, I doubt it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're wrong. Klong Toey Market is the biggest and best wet market in Bangkok. I shop there all the time. It is separate and distinct from the Klong Toey slum where we are always reading about drug problems. I think you owe buenjai an apology.

10 baht a kilo is for mandarins / tangerines.

Imported oranges of the Sunkist variety are available in most supermarkets and the street market in Chinatown (among other places) but much more expensive. Sorry, I don't know the current market price.

I went to the Klong Toey market one morning and thought it was no different or less safe than any other large Bkk market. The people were very friendly and it was a great place to spend a couple of hours.

Granted, I've never been there at night and have heard the slum area can be dangerous.

Hi,

Also, I'd like to add that 'Klong Toey' is a rather large district (with several police precincts, e.g.: Thong Lo, Rama IV and Lumphini). I believe that even a large part of lower Sukhumvit technically belong to Klong Toey. ESSO Thailand, Loxley Information Services, Colgate-Palmolive and Bangkok Post is some familiar businesses you'll find in Klong Toey. Plenty of BMW and Mercedes dealers as well.

But of course; there is also 'slum'.

The Klong Toey market is indeed a fine market. A funky place to check out any hour of the day with action around the clock. Only a stone throw away however you'll find slum, mainly along the klong (which passes thru the market), under the expressway (just behind the market) & around the port area (a brisk 20 minutes walk from the market).

In my opinion though it's still wrong to make Klong Toey synonymous to slum & ya maa.

It's like any other area of Bangkok. It has a little of everything. Oranges included (still on topic, eh?;))

Straycat

PvtDick, buenjai, et al.,

I'm sorry that my response to buenjai was so heated. I have removed it. My reaction was due to a poster on another board who constantly suggested, sarcastically, that this was the place to go. And he was referring to the slum not the market. It was an annoying game he used to play, particularly with newbies. I should not have jumped to the same conclusion regarding buenjai's post. I was unaware of the Klong Toey "wet" market, the only floating market I know of in that area is the Damnern Saduak, which is quite a distance away.

I hope there are no hard feelings and I'll try to restrain myself in the future if I think a post might be a troll.

Archived