Police searched me last night

last night i was walking up sukhumvit soi 22 towards sukhumvit when a police motorcycle stopped me. the officer made me empty my pockets, show him my passport, patted me down rather thoroughly checking the buttocks and crotch area to make sure I wasn't concealing anything. After the patdown he and his partners had issue with the following facts/conditions:

a.] I had a zippo lighter but no cigarettes [i had just run out]

b.] I have a tourist visa yet I live in an apartment, away from the more touristy areas.

c.] I can speak thai more than just a little bit.

After returning my belongings the one officer noticed that i had some 1000 baht notes tucked away in my passport holder. He asked me to produce them and for a moment I thought they were a goner. After a bit I asked if I could go and held out my hand for my cash which he returned without hesitation. I flagged a cab and headed to my destination not wanting to walk anymore. Now granted I had on a faded Led Zeppelin t-shirt and was unshaven, but clearly not looking like I was out for trouble. I walk this route often, almost everyday.

Question: does this happen often? Has it ever happened to you? Am I really stupid for walking around soi 22 at night? What would have happened if I had a knife?

I was pretty rattled but soon put it behind me and had yet another spectacular night. I would really benefit from any experiences or words of wisdom anyone could share.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another question: has anyone been forced to hand out money after a simple (if disturbing) police check on the street?

Everytime i have a policeman checking me (only happened riding), I lose all my thai by magic. I make a point of misunderstanding what they are trying to tell me, I produce my licence ("passport? Stay home!"), they soon let me go. Once in BKK, they would not give me back the licence, unless I go get it and pay a fine at the station. As i was leaving the day after, I just waved goodbye to that 10$ piece of paper.

Are there any legal restrictions on carrying knives in Thailand? I've carried a pocket knife every day of my life since I was knee high to a grass hopper and would feel naked without it.

On a related airport note, before the 9/11 deal if the thai domestic airport metal detectors caught it in my pocket, which they usually did, they would security check it through to the destination. Since 9/11 I just put it in the carry on and it's never been questioned.

Its the end of the month, lots of payments to make, LOts of Mia Nois to be kept happy, therefore lots of money to be found.

Keep stopping motorcyclists, taxi's etc and when that well dries up and you still havn't got your cash together, hassle a few farangs. Most are rich and timid enough to cough up a couple of hundred baht for ?? well whatever really.

Seriously true, especially if that individual brownshirt is not on the Sgt.'s "favourite list".

Same reason the BGs can get agressive/persausive/cheap/overly friendly/etc.

End of the month.....PAY the RENT !!

You were wearing a faded Led Zeppelin shirt & your wondering why you were pulled over!! C'mon, surely you jest. In some countries you would not even get a visa!

A good question. I've often carried a leatherman around with me. Don't know the true answer but given that you can buy seriously dangerous stuff right on the street, in full view, and given the sort of logic that sometimes pops up here my guess is:

Not illegal to buy, own, carry, use. Only illegal to be caught in possesion by a brownshirt.

BTW. Given the number of brownshirts on the streets of this fair country, wonder how many plain clothes types there are?

M.

Archived