Quitting Smoking

SUZIBANDIT

Well, I've decided to attempt the miserable task of quitting smoking...again. ::

In the past, the nicorette gum has helped (I did start again, but it wasn't because of the gum not working).

Is the gum or the patch available in LOS? If so, where and how much?

Also any other tips for getting through the miserable first few days?

Thanks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would be suprised if you could not purchase Zyban from the pharmacies in BKK. originally designed as an anti-depressant, it is now prescribed for those who wise to cease smoking. Many of my friends who have been long term smokers have had success with this method. But be aware one of the side affects is a diruption to sleep patterns. The best part about it is that you actually continue smoking for a few weeks untill you feel that you are ready to quit. Apparenty it blocks what ever it is that causes the cravings.

Thanks for the info guys.

The update goes like this. Made it throught the weekend with only 4 cigarettes. Considering I'm leaving behind a pack a day, that seems good to me. Especially since I was out at the go-gos and drinking. It wasn't easy, but it was a step in the right direction.

Now, how the hell do you guys do it?! I sat there in Nana and tried to enjoy myself, but I was fighting to not have that cigarette. I swear to god it was an epic battle. So much so, I wasn't even really watching the action.

You see, I've never been to a go-go and not smoked (cigarettes ;)) before. It seems so unnatural to not have one.

Cigarettes have always been my time killer. Waiting for the gf, taxi, movie, next beer. When I was out for a night on the town a cigarette made me look like I was doing something, not just ogling the girl in the corner. Like a line up: pervert, pervert, pervert, guy with cigarette, pervert pervert. You see the drill. Now I'm exposed. I feel naked without them.

My question is how do people fill that time? How do you just stand there doing nothing?

Drugging myself would probably work, but would open up a whole can of worms. How do I decondition myself, especially in the bars scene?

Thanks guys. I just need to bitch and moan a bit. ::

It is going to really be hard if you put yourself into the smoky bar scene while trying to quit. It was my downfall many times. Perhaps this is a good period to go upscale and visit the hotel lobby bars and enjoy the music for awhile? Visit the massage places if the other need gets too great. And don't drink much or you will never be able to resist (either need). ::

Have seen some buy beads and count them as a pastime; eat eat eat; etc. But probably now is the best time to have a temporary wife and stay at home. With luck the new anti-smoking laws will make at least some of the nightspots smoke free soon. (yeah - I know there is nothing worse than former smokers; but it really becomes a smell that is sicking for many of us). Good luck.

try this it may work for you also.

1. Work out which particular cigaretes of the day you really can't do without (eg the morning coffee smoke/the after meal smoke/ the post coital smoke)

2. It may be that you have identified 15 smokes that you NEED in a particular day, but thats ok.

3. stick to that number per day whatever that may be (but prefferrably less that you usually have pre: trying to quit) for a week.

4. After a week, decide which smoke you can go without and cross it off the list, so now you have one less a day for the next week.

5.Continue crossing off the one smoke you can do without until you have got down to 1 or 2 or 5 (whatever)

6. when you are down to 1 a day (and this may take some time ) you will start to wonder why even bother with this one. Then stop.

I have known many long term (25+ years) heavy smokers who have quit this way. they all say the same thing, that is a mental game that they are determined to win. As for me I preffer the cold turkey method.

Sorry to inform you there is only one way: STOP

Many years ago I did just that, for 13 months. Then one day I had a boss I needed to kill. Choosing between going to jail and have a smoke I choose the latter (unfortunately, I still think I better should have killed the bastard)

Then I had a heart attack. My travel insurance company (not a health insurance company who doesn't want to pay for loss of salary) sent a cardiologist to Bumrungrad to rapatriate me alive to farangland. We had a chat about zero tolerance for risks, to my surprise he did not mention smoking. So I asked him. Ohhh, he replied, that risk? [color:"blue"]"None of my patients are smokers any more, that's no longer a risk for you."[/color]

I must have smoked that last one 5 minutes before my heart attack...

Btw, death rate of myocardial hartinfarct is 25%

If you haven't stopped yet DO IT NOW.

Update. Nicorette gum has been purchased and is helping me deal with the cravings, Really the only time they are unbearable is at work when something nonsensical that could only happen in Thailand happens. So all the time. :)

One cigarette in the last two days. Not bad. But I haven't been drinking either.

Thailand is a difficult place to quit: Top notch nightlife, slow pace conducive to long bouts of waiting for things, certain amounts of stress that is easily relieved by a smoke, crazy women, spicy food. Read the newspaper here and then try not to smoke. Theres always something going on in the news here that makes me want a cigarette.

I appreciate Thailenoi's sentiments also. You just gotta stop.

Archived