Quitting Smoking

SUZIBANDIT

[color:"red"] "Getting pisssed at the cigarette companies for fucking me over by taking money from me at the same time they were harming me"[/color]

I never get pissed at the companies. I didn't look at Joe Camel and start smoking. It has always been my choice to start and my responsibility to quit.

I knew from day one they were bad for me, yet I still lit up. Nothing anyone told me or any new scientific facts would make me want to quit or would have made me not start.

Some of the most fun things I have done in my life were bad for me. But they were also good for me in a way because they shaped who I am and what exepriences I have had.

It's just that the cigarette phase of my life is over. I can't really even explain why, it just is. It's something I want to do. Just like starting was my choice, so is stopping.

The tobacco industry is not responsible for my starting, and in the same way no health department or public service announcement can take credit for my quitting.

Tiger, congrats on quitting and thanks for the advice. I agree the burden lies on each of us, no one else.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"read somewhere that its easier to get an addict of off smack than it is to get a smoker off the tabs."

Do you mean nicorette??I've know and heard of people stuck on them for loooong time.Found it pretty easy though to switch to normal gums

Well, I fucked things up yesterday. Had one and then decided that since already had one I might as well have a few more. :o

But today is a new day and I'll try again.

I tell you, over the weekend things seemed to be going well, but I was eating like a pregnant lady with the munchies. I swear my appetite was huge. Snacked the whole day Sunday.

Yesterday, I don't know what happened. I just had one; I don't know why. But it tasted and felt damn good, so I had a few more.

Well, here goes again....I'll keep you updated.

I quit smoking two months ago . Since then I've put on ten pounds but I'm slim so it's not an issue . Although only one pair of trousers fits at the present time ! My quitting started with a bet between two co-workers and myself . The bet was 100 dollars Canadian each if I didn't make it to Christmas . That's four months from when I quit . I took them on and I'm going to win . It's fun making it a challenge ! I find it easier to do these things whenever I involve other people because I know that I rely on my friends energy to help me through the tough bits . They're not worried about losing the money but they are worried about my health ! Besides , when I win I will give the money to an Aids Hospice . So everyone wins !

I was a big smoker for years. I quit fifteen years ago after beeing so sick (brochitis or something like that) that I couldn't physically inhale smoke (yes, I kept trying !) for two days. The third day I was ready to lighten one, but kept saying 'I can wait ten more minutes'. By the end of the day I decided to quit...and started panicking !

Actually it wasn't as bad as I expected, you miss the gesture the first time you take your coffee in the morning, you go out of a cinema, you finish a good meal in a restaurant and so on.

I was quite aware that if I smoked a single sigarette again, I would start the habit in no time. It did not happen in these fifteen years (except maybe a couple of times when I was dead drunk but I don't remember so that doesn't count) and I assure you I never miss it.

Now I'm trying to stop drinking...

Archived