Quitting Smoking

SUZIBANDIT

Yeah in the past I kept telling myself to enjoy them when I'm here because when I go home I'll be paying 5 dollars or more. But everytime I went home I never quit either.

Now that I'm here for sn indefinate period, there can be no more excuses.

And on a side note, there is no excuse for a woman who doesn't smoke! I prefer :: not :p but both are better than nothing

::

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All,

Actually, there is only one way to quit smoking : stop............

Kidding aside, one must want to stop, but reducing the amount of sigs is only kidding oneselve ( I know I was there too ).

I smoked 2-3 packs a day for 27 years and did quit with Zyban, great way to stop, soooooo easyyyyyy :) :) :) :)

Its been 2 years now, but I must say the craving is still there, so what ? As long as I will not touch that first sig again, all is fine.........

Also the GF quit 2 months ago, she smoked like 3-4 a day, just a social stuff, now she found some alternatives ...... :: :: ::

Cheers !

Funny that you mention it, another board member I know is seriously trying to quit. Despite the fact I have a carton of LOS Marlboro Lights waiting for him in my apt. I have serious mis givings about giving them to him. I am currently trying to stop drinking. So far so good, been about 3 weeks without any alcohol, and 5 weeks since my last serious drunken buzz! The first days are the hardest for sure. I got through it by exercising more, felt like drinking, I walked around the parking lot , or instead of coming home and drinking, I would go to the gym and swim, lift weights. Also, just plain will power. Best way is to just stop. If you have headaches, take aspirin or what ever. If you have shaky hands, hold off on performing brain surgery :) stretch, exercise etc...maybe tag the wife instead.

One poster said scheduled reduction helped him, this can also work, but will prolong the process, and could possibly lead to recurrent relapses. Whatever, pick a method, and try it, if it fails, try another/again, but keep trying! Whatever you do, don't give up! Believe me, I have had to quit some serious vices in my time, and I have been reassured that cigarettes are one of the hardest, but if I can go 3 weeks without booze, then there is hope for you! :) So quit today, worry about tomorrow when/if it comes, then quit that day...one day at a time! and each day will get easier! :) O.k. sermon over! :)

Funny, I am not drinking, yet my post are still strange...

Nicorette works great.Started smoking at 11.Passed from 2 packs a day to not a single cigarette overnight thanks to those a couple of times.Every time even after a year I indulged in single cigarette during a special event or whatever I was back smoking over a pack a day within a couple of weeks.No problem for about 2 years and I can indulge occasionally in both cigars and shisha(arab waterpipe) without getting back to the old bad habit.

So is it getting any better?

I am with Thalenoi on this one. After smoking 2 packs a day for 25 years, I stopped. I couldn't have tried to reduce, smoke only at certain times, or whatever. It wouldn't have worked for me.

By just stopping I didn't have to engage in a never ending debate with myself, didn't have to fight myself.

I spent a good deal of time and effort getting ready to stop - figuring out why I wanted to stop, the damage smoking was doing to me, getting pisssed at the cigarette companies for fucking me over by taking money from me at the same time they were harming me, and so on. Once I was finally mentally convinced this is what I wanted to do, it was relatively easy. The key was a commitment to myself not to have a single cigarette, no matter what.

Best of luck to you

Thanks for the support OH, the exercise idea is good one, but thats a whole nother issue! :)

Dinking and other vices have never been as difficult as quitting cigarettes. I've tried some hard stuff in my life, but nicotine is by far the most addictive --both physically and mentally.

Good luck with laying off the sauce. Intead of one day at a time we should change the slogan to "One vice at a time!"

::

Yeah its getting better -- I think.

I'm pulverizing a piece of nicorette as I speak. :: But too much of this shit is just substituting, so I need to cold turkey everything.

The test will be tonight. A night on the town. Halloween. Plenty of booze. Dance contests. NEP shows. Discos. We'll see where the night takes me, but I do know that cigarettes won't be a part of it.

It'll be rough, but I gotta have my fun. ::

Archived