Grace Coffee Shop Cover Charge for Men?

shotover

A "friend" I met last week tried her best to explain the ticket issue system to me as I had never come across it before. Apparently, each visitor is handed a ticket in an effort to keep the boys in Brown off the Graces back due to its recent rise in popularity - late drinking etc. My limited Thai could not delve any deeper as to the why's and wherefores.

Whether there is any truth in it I don't know but I swallowed it..........and she swallowed me ;)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

went there last night, Grace's, yep, there's the 100baht cover charge and you get a soft drink for it.

Man, was that place packed! Really good atmosphere, two rooms open, loads of girls. Rolled out about 4.30.

Old Hippy, why would the gogo's wanna charge an entrance fee with beer charged at 110baht a bottle(Angelwitch). That's tough shit.

Cheers,

Limbo

Angelwitch is one of the bars in NEP that does NOT charge 110 baht for a bottle of beer. If you were charged that limbo, there was a mistake. Crown Group, Playskool, etc. charge 110 baht for beer.

But, I do agree with you. It doesn't make sense for a gogo bar to have a cover charge. But, if it ever comes about, I suspect the Crown Group will be the first to do it.

Honestly, re entry charges into the Grace, Thermae, etc. I am not bothered by this. Especially, if it is a minimum (i.e., goes towards your first drink) rather than just a fee to get in. When I go into these places I always buy one or more drinks anyway. But, I do agree with bibblies that in the case of gogo bars this should not happen. I, too, like to just stick my head in and have a look rather than commit right away. An entry fee would make me upset if I walked in and the placed sucked. I would like avoid any gogo bars with an entry fee.

What I am saying is, we are starting to see things change. I think (just my opinion here really) that a lot of the price hikes are due to bar owners trying to make up for lost revenue. Volume of customer down, raise prices. We never saw a "cover" at Nana before, now there is one. Why? Simple because they know guys on Holiday will pay it. Same with Grace. So, I think, we may see in the future (I hope not) a cover at gogos. If one tries it, and offers something "different" to justify it, then others may follow. Like I said, just an opinion. I agree that right now it doesn't make sense, I am saying this could happen down the road. Many people have pointed out that BKK/LOS in generel is not as cheap as it once was, things are changing whether we like it or not. Just my thoughts on the subject, hope I am wrong!!

OH, I think you make a good point.

I also think bibblies hit on the reason though too. Many owners and managers have told me they are tired of guys entering their bars and not buying anything. The staff doesn't want to be confrontational so they just sit there and enjoy the 'show' without buying anything. No entry fees in gogos though yet.

In the case of the Grace and Nana Disco (which has had the fee for some time now), I think it has been the same. Too many going but not buying a drink. No money in that for the establishment.

Yes, another way to make money, and, as you said, most tourists coming from countries where night entertainment is more expensive will not hesitate to pay.

Hi Sarasin

you're right, the cover charge doesn't bother me too much at all in places like Graces.

Gogo's will in my point of view not try to imply a cover charge, since I think punters won't go in as much anymore. I definately wanna hop in and out and move on if I don't like it.

Just don't think the barowners will go for it.

Re. Angelwitch, I went in at about 8pm last night and ordered a Carlsberg and was charged 110Baht to my own surprise. I finished the beer and left cause I didn't think it was right. Maybe I give it a second chance, if you say the price should be lower. I'll check the price before ordering!

See you @ Genesis??

Cheers,

Limbo

Yeah, I agree that it (the cover charge) cuts down on guys comming in, and not spending. I saw this at Dollhouse last trip, 3 guys come in, look around about 10 minutes, claiming to be looking/waiting don't spend and then leave. This is one reason I could see bars selling drinks in advance vis a ve a small cover, which would get you one or more drinks...Some years back in Biloxi Mississippi, there was a club that had strippers, the drill was, you walked in, paid $2.00 or whatever, and this got you a "dancer's drink." sort of sucked if they didn't have any nice dancers to talk to. As long as the drink is for me, I wouldn't have minded so much... :) In generel, I do hate paying covers, I like to have a drink, and move on if not happy.

Star Sixx a go go in Chiang Mai charges at the door. But you get a ticket which is good for a beer or soft drink. I think it was 100 baht. I have no problem with that.

Why would a g go charge a cover? Because they could. As soon as they can get away with it they will start. Maybe in a few years, maybe not. Won't stop me from going into my favorites, but wouldn't be my preference. I might think twice about some secong tier places that are hit and miss. Unless the cover went to a drink. I have never gone in and walked right out without a beer.

Archived