Crackdown Over! Police lay down the law!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Rock Hard will take another shot at it.

http://www.rockhardbangkok.com/whatnew.html

ROCK HARD NANA PLAZA OPENS SATURDAY

Rock Hard Nana is in the works. Partners in Rock Hard Clinton are invited to join in the independent investment, if they come up with the cash. Without it, JW is slated to be 100% owner. Location is still a secret, but it will be on the 2nd floor. More details to follow tomorrow on these hot hot hot news items....

quote:

Originally posted by Crash999:

I heard the same. The current enforcement of the 1am closing time is supposedly a push to stamp out drug problems, supposedly aggravated by the late closing times.

Now that will be interesting if they can push it through. SO far, as they say, all they have been doing is enforcing the laws which most people didn't know existed, the 1.00 am closing. Thing is, surely they can only push that barrier back so far. The official/unofficial closing times have for years saved the government from paying their police force a decent wage by allowing them to earn their own overtime and bonuses by granting the bars permission to stay open later. We have talked about the loss of earnings for the staff of the bars, what about the police? Aren't they hurting too??

It would be great if the offical closing time had been moved forward but they could still negotiate 'licences' with the owners for extensions like before.

Could they really push through legislation to impose a major change in the actual 'bottom line', the closing time, without more publicity. Seems unlikely, but yes, they probably could. I only learned last week, from Frogggy, that the minimum age for buying alcohol had been raised from 18 to 20 and any university students being admitted in uniform would lead to swift closure of the offending bar.

Long Gun writes:"Now that will be interesting if they can push it through. SO far, as they say, all they have been doing is enforcing the laws which most people didn't know existed, the 1.00 am closing. Thing is, surely they can only push that barrier back so far. The official/unofficial closing times have for years saved the government from paying their police force a decent wage by allowing them to earn their own overtime and bonuses by granting the bars permission to stay open later. We have talked about the loss of earnings for the staff of the bars, what about the police? Aren't they hurting too??"

Good point. Dont forget that any regulations will affect Thai bars as much as the tourist orientated ones and I can see the average Thai getting pretty pissed off with these restrictions on his/her sanuk. This will make Thaksin pretty unpopular with his apparently adoring public and his dogsbodies in brown. It will be interesting to see if this does come into force and what the local reaction will be.

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: Johnny Was ]

A friend in Bangkok wrote me today saying that even 7-11 has been effected... Said that his local market stated that they could not sell anything alcholic after 1:am... Is it true???

Not really a problem for me, as I don't drink that much, but a major problem for some who want the party to continue at home, after the bars close....

Pianoman

Alfalfa,

I'll take you up on that offer if Gummigut won't. I haven't paid more than 1000B for ST or LT in almost a year and my standards are pretty high. Most of my LT's are in Pattaya these days as my GF doesn't allow me to bring women back to the apartment (still working on that!). Then again, I rarely settle on a price first, just pay the 1000B at the appropriate time. I've had 2 complaints out of hundreds, both Long Gun girls for some reason.

Ranger

Itsmedave:

>A free short-time for Gummigut tonight!!! (doubtful the girl could stand longer)

Hah! They love me! I got no power so it's a real easy night! :p Thanks for the vote of confidence, hehe.

Alholk:

Nopers. Can't hold an intelligent conversation in Thai with my vocab, but with the right person, it sure is fun to try!!! wink wink, nudge nudge

Alfalfa:

I'm not really going to reply to your last private post. The conversation is getting way to acidic. My initial reply in this thread may not have been so kind and gentle and I apologize if you took offense. But you've been pretty much on the offensive and brazen yourself. Your latest private reply to me contains personal attacks. I said it before and I'll say it again, "Hey man, we're here to have fun!"

You introduced yourself and that was good. You definitely aren't bad looking and some would consider you quite handsome. You are also young. You probably know as much Thai if not more than me. You mentioned my looks. Actually in most cases it's a hinderance as no one in these areas would dare go with me if I actually was what I looked (haha, now some of you are wondering!!! wink wink). Even after introductions some of them can't deal with me. Key is to use what yaz gots!

I hope you have yourself a great time in Thailand and don't get caught up in the blues.

<<burp>>

p.s.: Yes, I was pretty proud of that banked eight ball. Doesn't quite happen often enough :p Guess after trying 1,000 times the odds were with me!

Archived