Insider tips/things you bring when going to LOS.

Pescator

Sooner or later frequent travellers to LOS find that there are some items they cannot live without when travelling in the kingdom.

Some they bring others they buy upon arrival.

Anybody wanna share their favourites? And I am not talking about the obvious ones that we all know rather the more personal insider tips.

I`ll give you mine. Mayby they won`t be particularly relevant to this board as I guess not so many travel backpacking style, but here they are anyway.

1) Hammock. There is no way I would go without my hammock. Made of durable nylon, available over most part of thailand for some 150 bht. Hardly takes up any space and weighs next to nothing. Great for relaxing, blanket at night if it gets cold, protection against mosquitoes, can be used to carry stuff etc. And I travel with kids and they love it too.

2) Earplugs. I find LOS to be terribly noisy in many places and if I am forced to sit in a longtail canoo/Express boat on Chao Phaya in bkk/train with open windows for hours on end I need those or the noise will slowly drive me out of my mind.

3) Electric water heater. Although food and hot drinks are available all over Thailand we`ve often especially upcountry and on the islands used it for cooking tea/coffee, occasionally a couple of eggs or MaMa/YumYum. We also use it for sterilizing nursing bottles.

4) GPS. A handheld GPS is a great tool especially if you are out trekking/or biking on your own. But even in cities it can be useful although bkk seems to be an exception due to poor coverage.

With the backtrack function you are never lost and dare to venture further and longer out that you normally would have.

And yes, I admit it I am a freak about those kind of gizmoes.

I`ll be very interested to hear yours too.

Cheers

Hua Nguu.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Check Bin Khrap.

Yes, being danish I know snus of course.

Mayby you should try out the local Maak or betel too.

It will change you forever, or at least change the colour of your teeth :)

This is however an item I can live without. I tried it once in Sweden and it inflicted a bad sting in my mouth.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

i found you can find pretty everything in LOS. therefore the only things i bring along are those which are much more expensive in LOS like:

- french and italian wine

- cuban cigars

- cheese

- foie gras

- single portion coffee for the expresso machine

- mustard

[color:"blue"]... is Swedish tobacoo "General snus" (chewing tobacco). Gets a lot of stares when I stick in my mouth.[/color]

This, I order directly from the Swedish manufacturer by e-mail. It's here within a couple of days and even turns out to be cheaper than buying it in Sweden! (Swedish tobbaco tax does not apply in Thailand). :)

+46 (0)31 80 86 09 [color:"red"]or[/color] mailorder.snus@swedishmatch.se

Straycat

PS. The only thing I'd bring from Europe is a decent deodorant, like 'Rexona for Men'. Keeps the armpits dry for two days!

Hi!

I alternate between 'General' and Göteborgs Rapé' and yes it does draw a lot of attention. Once I had to explain in great detail to a cop what it was. At the same time I had to disencourage him to try it. If he had tried it I probably would have found myself in deep shit.

A real funny thing happened whin I was toung and worked for a short period on a tanker. We were in a pub in the Brittish port town Great Yarmouth and all of us were using snus. A bloke asked what it was and the only English word I could think of was "snuff". On bloke asked if he could try it and before we could stop him he had put it in his nose. We had to run like hell back to the docks with a bunch of irate Englishmen after us. Ofcourse the bloke wiht the snus up his nose was in no condition to run anywhere. :D :D :D

MVH

ALHOLK

P.S. Don't call it chewing tobaco in the wrong company. They might try to chew it. :D

Hi!

Well, I use the same brands. Unfortunately, I don't know where to find them in BKK. That's why I use mail order. :)

I imagine that some Scandinavian/Swedish bars could have it; for example there's such a place on Convent Rd. The name escapes me though...

Straycat

Archived