Expats and Xmas

khunsanuk

Hi,

Just wondering how other expats deal with Xmas in Thailand.

This is the first year we are spending Xmas in a house (rather than an apartment), and we bought us a Xmas tree yesterday at Carre Four.

After everything was decorated and in place, I must say that I rather liked the result, although it does look weird seeing a Xmas tree while it is 30+ Celsius :)

Not even really sure why I bought the Xmas tree, since I am not religious at all and Xmas to me means just two things: holiday and food.

Anyway, what are other expats doing?

Sanuk!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hah - funny you should post this as I was calling around last night to get an idea on how much to eat lunch at the better hotels,

The Oriental Bufett - 1900 Baht, the Marriet - 1400 Baht - both not bad value but still to expensive for a party.

Problem is that all the things that make a great Christmas at home in Aus are hard to get here.

Cheese, nuts, good crackers (Though Tesco Home brand is good) nice meats, prawns for the BBQ, yers you can buy these here, but they are so $$$$ may as well eat all you can at the Oriental!

I will try the pubs next to see what they are doing!

Doug over at Bourbon Street has always had what for my money is the best Christmas buffet in town. Yeah, I know it's pretty American, and you euros and antipodeans may be looking for something a little closer to home, but it's still a nice family kind of thing to do on Christmas. Much better than the hotels, I think, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Hi,

"no snow and freezing cold - no christmas."

Yeah, it is rather strange celebrating Xmas when it is 30+ outside.

To be honest, I have never done anything special for Xmas in Thailand. It just does not feel the same, but I thought a tree was kinda nice.

And the missus really enjoyed shopping for balls and decorating the tree, so I scored some brownie points :)

Sanuk!

the missus loved christmas in germany, spending hours at the window staring at the snow, having walks in the citypark and the christmas market, drinking "gluehwein", going to midnight mass etc.

i would actually like to be able to fly with her for a week or two during christmas there, but that is a bit beyond our budget.

>>>...so I scored some brownie points <<<

if they would just be redeemable, maybe against a mia noi or so... ;)

Hi,

"the missus loved christmas in germany, spending hours at the window staring at the snow"

Same for mine, she was so happy seeing snow. She even made a snowman, and then proceeded to kick the shit out of it :)

"i would actually like to be able to fly with her for a week or two during christmas there, but that is a bit beyond our budget."

Again same for me. It's a bit too far, and certainly too expensive.

">>>...so I scored some brownie points

if they would just be redeemable, maybe against a mia noi or so..."

Hahahahaha. I'm afraid my missus resembles yours, and I think you can imagine what would happen if I suggested this :)

Sanuk!

what happened to all those graceful and obedient asian women..., or was i conned into something here? ::

many years ago the missus said that when i give her 10K a month than i could have a mia noi. now i could afford that, but now she says i should give her 100K!

that is definately a scam of some sort! :p

...and i just wanna be a good guy, you know, giving some poor gal shelter, so that poor thing doesn't need to sleep alone, have her helping the missus with the household, so the missus won't have to work so hard anymore. why are my noble motives always misunderstood? ohh, the injustice... ::

Hi,

"what happened to all those graceful and obedient asian women..."

I think this is all a trick from the TAT to lure unsuspecting men here.

Seriously though, the male/female roles are still more defined here than they are in the West, but by no means should one assume that that means that the women are obedient and subservient (sp?).

Sanuk!

Archived