Expats and Xmas

khunsanuk

Yes just spend the day doing the pre-xmas tradtions. Tree went up, stockings hung, the x-mas table decorations have been dusted off and placed around the condo. Even wrapped all the presents and placed them under the tree

Was thinking of cooking a turkey , but just measured my oven and there is no way I could get a turkey in there.. AHHH. But villa is selling freshly cooked turkey with stuffing for about 2600-3000B depending on size.

Anyone know of a cheaper place to get a cooked turkey.. A buddy of mine has a turkey farm in Issan and is selling them cheap about 150B/ Kg. But I need an bigger oven or have to cook it ini peices

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS,

Just my little imput as a non-expat, or whatever you should call us guys :)

We - the GF and me - were planning on spending x-mas eve in St. Francis cathedral in Dusit for the night mass, its in Thai but all songs are in english, all strictly catholic mass.

We now leave BKK on the 21st, but maybe some of you wanna go there ?

Cheers !

I am now only for a few months in BKK, but a christmas without cold weather, and even without family ? Couldn´t stand it at the moment. Bought my cutie some winter clothes, and we will fly back to good old germany. Stroll over some christmas markets, show her snow, and introduce her to christian Christmas Traditions. She is looking forwrd to it. Will think of all you guys, when drinking a "Gluehwein". :-)

Cheers

dsab,

Well good for you........ lemme tell you that right now it gets light at abt 0830-900, dark at 1630 PM already, freezing cold, fat unhappy smelly people all around, driving like mad........

Naaaah, I'll be on a beach with my cutie GF, not in the cold :) :)

Then again, its 'up to you' right ?

Forecast for the next 3 days here : nite time about - 8 to - 12 ° C, day time max - 3 °C brrrrrrrrrrrrr

And you want to come HERE ?????????????

Cheers !

>We - the GF and me - were planning on spending x-mas eve in St. Francis cathedral <

Is she a Catholic ? And she has had premarital sex with you. Guess she has to ask for forgiveness very very often ! :D

Just kidding. Not every Catholics practice strictly their belief like any other beliefs. Take Madonna for instance :) It depends on the person.

Out of curiosity, if you're a Catholic and married and you have sex with a bg, do you have to see the priest and ask for forgiveness. Or if you're single but have paid sex, do you have to do so as well ?

::

Just got back from New Zealand with the TGF and we decided to buy a tree and all the decorations there - what a mistake taking her into the Christmas shop in the local department store !!!! After buying what seemed like the whole shop including an 8" tree that looks more real than the real thing we realised just how difficult this was going to be to get home. Have to say everything was pretty cheap, certainly more so than England so went a bit overboard. Along with our luggage for 2 week trip, we had an additional 50KG of christmas dec's to bring back including that tree in a rather large box. Had to ditch any idea of hiring a convertible to drive round NZ and ended up with a CRV packed to the roof. We also brought home some essentials like Heinz (or Watties in NZ) tomato soup which I have never seen in Thailand (8 tins !! and a couple of boxes of Cadbury's Roses to accompany the Wizzard of Oz on Christmas day (or is it Chitty Chitty Bang Bang this year).

Checking in at Auckland was fun but luckily I have a SQ gold card from business trips and they did not charge us for the excess baggage thank god. Looked a bit strange with 2 fully loaded trolleys going through customs at Don Muang with one huge 7 ft long box with a big picture of a chrsitmas tree on the outside. Struggled to get everything in the car at the airport and then headed down to our house.

TGF wasted no time in opening all the boxes and setting to building the tree, but we had no lights so had to scoot down to Foodland in Pattaya to get the neccessary boxes. Unbeknown to me they have this infuriating little speaker that belches out hideous electronic versions of those famous christmas hits from yesteryear. We have two sets of lights so get twice the crap tinny sounds and neither of them are playing the same tune at the same time. Not sure how long thats going to last - must go and look for some others that do not have the jingle.

Also noticed in Foodland that they have imported Butterball frozen turkeys from the US, all different sizes with prices ranging from 1,000 to 2,000 Baht each. Only had 4 there so I better get one quick. Anyone know where to get Paxo stuffing???

One thought for you guys looking for a true restauarant blowout meal is that Gregs Kitchen in Pattaya do a good Roast Turkey lunch for about 500Baht I think. Last year it included all the trimmings, some soup to start and pudd to finish as well. This guy's English roasts are great and certainly the best I have had in Pattaya. He serves it over 4 days as well, just in case you want to start early, finish late or pig out for 4 days on the same thing.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you all...

GTG,

Is she a Catholic ? And she has had premarital sex with you. Guess she has to ask for forgiveness very very often ! :D

--> Yes, and has a very liberal mind on top of that !!! :)

Out of curiosity, if you're a Catholic and married and you have sex with a bg, do you have to see the priest and ask for forgiveness. Or if you're single but have paid sex, do you have to do so as well ?

--> I would not know that, I'm not Christian :)

Basically religion does not count, and does not matter how you express your beliefs ( church - praying - confession etc... ) it is all a matter for what is in your heart.

We plan to live together without getting married, her parents accept that without approving, but all is ok with them.

Cheers !

Xmas traditions.

First year I decorated a palm plant. Second year went without.

Third year bought an artificial tree, and spent a whole day figuring out how to put it together. Looked nice and worth the effort.

Fourth year taught the maid how to put the tree together.

Fifth through Eight year. The tree mysteriously was up and decorated the day after thanksgiving. (How did she know that this was the "day" to put it up I don't know - maybe it coincides with the tree and lights going up around the WTC and Sogo ?)

This year. Hid the tree in mid September. Not a word has been said yet - but can sense that she is puzzled by its absence. Plan to put it up myself on a Sunday - soon - maybe.

This year I wish for Love, Peace and Understanding. If that is not possible then maybe a seat at the next 'Cookie' Suchawadee photo shoot ! ::

Maybe I've been too busy and not in the right places, but I have NOT noticed anyplace playing the Xmas music loudly yet. Lucky me ?

Happy Holidays to All !

Archived