Handel's Messiah Concerts ?

Goodthaigirl

Did any of you go to the concert?

Which venue did you go to and what do you think?

This is the info I've got from Bangkokgigguide.com

December 6 - Thailand Cultural Centre

December 8 - Sapan Luang Church, Rama 4 Road

December 9 - Holy Redeemer Church, Soi Ruamrudee

The Bangkok Combined Choir and Orchestra under The Church of Christ in Thailand proudly presents its annual performances of Handel's Messiah with guest conductor Zheng Xiao Ying and featured soloists: Martie Evert (soprano), Sonya Thayer (alto), Sigve Vidnes (tenor) and Mongkol Chayasirisobhon (bass). The concerts will be held in three different venues. Admission is free, though donations are welcomed.

Any of you who have been to the concerts more than once, was this any better than the year before ? They said this year is the 44th year they have organised the concerts.

So, did you enjoy the concert?

GTG.

PS.I got this idea from BelgianBoy who has a Catholic girlfriend. So, I hope that he'd gone to one of them this year.

Also as Khun Sanuk said that our board members have a life outside P4P scene so I'm sure some of them went. I know that 'a life' he mentioned doesn't have to be the classical concert, ok? :) I also understand that if none of you went to this concert you also have a life. Just to make this clear to KS. (sign)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GTG,

Nope did not go simply because I'm not yet in LOS.......... :) I arrive in 8 days for a whole 3 weeks :) :) :) :)

As for the concert, it is a great one, went about 10-11 years ago to see / hear that in Antwerp, Belgium and I have the CD.

I prefer the organ concerts better from Handel, but that is personal.

Cheers !

I was treated to some caroling (singing) in downtown San Francisco yesterday...by the gay mens coral group! friendly bunch! Everyone wishing me a merry christmas (I don't celebrate), demanding gifts, spending to much, family stress. food hoarding, traffic jams... Good I hate this time of year...

Sorry, I thought you were already in Thailand.

I went to the concert on Dec 9th - the last one. The church is not as impressive as other Catholic churches with all the stained glass decoration. But they have a Thai style design for the ceiling -very interesting.

The 150 membered choir was good enough. They are from over 20 nationalities (from the pamphet I got). Some Chinese, some White caucacians and one looks like a South Asian origin.

The acoutic was not that good. I guess because of the place is not catered for such a concert like this the sound was not as good as - say- concert hall at Cultural centre. The church is not air-con so in the begining there were noises from street venders outside ! The concert is free and donation is welcome so can't complain much.

The soprano and alto soloists were ok. I like the tenor and bass soloists more.

They played Mozart arrangement with more brass sections in some of part of the concert. I liked that a lot. There were some farang players in the symphony too. Guess they are missionaries.

The choir dress in Traditional Northern Thai costume. The men wore white cotton, short sleeved shirt (Mor - hom style). The women dressed in white blouse with a red cloth put over their left shoulder. The red cloth had a goldern shiny strip which is good for the night performance. Their wore red sarong with matching goldern strip too - I think. Great idea for the costume as the church is not air-con.

I really love the idea of the organiser to give a Thai garland to the conducter, the soloists, and the chior instead of the big expensive bouquets. Great idea.

I've seen a lot of farang missionaries. They are a lot than I thought. The tenor is a Norwegian missionary posted in Ubonratchtani ! The soprano (white South African) and alto (USA) soloists are from Saraburi ! When they recieved the garland they waied very beautifully. Very good.

I'm not a classical concert lover so cannot tell you more than this. But all in all, a good concert and I enjoyed it very much.

excellent report, just one question: what do you mean by mozart arrangement? a mozart arrangement in a composition of handel? they lived at different times (handel in 17. and first half of 18. century and mozart in 18. century) and composed in different styles

GTG,

A question to you........ as I dont live ( yet ) in BKK..........

Where do you find all this info on concerts, exhibitions and other stuff ? Just in the papers ?

I mean I do read the Bangkok Post, just not the advertisements and stuff...... :)

As for concerts, does BKK have a philamonic orchestra ? Where do they play ? what is their repertoire ?

I'm always game for a nice evening out :)

Cheers !

there is Bangkok Symphony Orchestra; i have heard them once about 3 years ago playing; they played different compositions from different centuries. sorry i can just remember ravel's bolero. heard majority are music teachers, probably they do not have so many performances.

for sure you can't expect the same as you would from a famous western sympony orchestra, who are all professionals with many performances per year. but a nice change with local dedicated musicians.

Samak,

According to the booklet I've got from the organiser, it says

Historically,Mozart produced all of his arrangement of Handel's oratorios at the behest of Baron Gottfried van Swieten. The first performance of his Messiah arrangement took place at the home of Count Johann Esterhazy on April 7, 1789 followed by performances at the home of Prince Johan Wenzel Paar in 1795, the winter palace of Prince Schwarzenberg in 1799, and at Covent Garden in London in 1805.

It was standard practice in the baroque period to arrange oratorio afresh for each new performance. It was this tradition, which also applied to opera, that gave rise to Mozart's arrangement. Changes had to be made in the solo sections, with entire movements being transposed, abridged, or newly inserted. The scoring emphasized the quality of the orchestra, and the conductor was at liberty (within certain musical limits) to reinforce the given parts with other instruments.

Mozart's arrangement succeeded so well because he was a masterful composer, and much of his mastery lie in recognizing the power of Handel's effects and leaving many of them untouched. Most of the accompanied recitatives are left as Handel composed them.

Nevertheless Mozart made a few alterations by omitting the chorus "Let all the Angels of God" and the aria "Thou art gone up on high". He also replaced the aria "If God be for us" with an accompanied recitative of his own composition, whilst his abridged version of "The trumpet shall sound" gives most of the demanding trumpet part to a horn. Mozart's woodwind complement includes paired flutes (piccolo in the "Pita"), oboes, clarinets, bassoons, and horns. he also added three trombones.

Although Handel's arrangement had an organ part, Mozart's arrangements were intended for private performances in palaces where organ would not have been readily available. Thus, the part had to be discarded. However,in Mozart's daythe harpsicord alone was entrusted with the realization of the figures bass, but it was only really heard as an accompaniment to recitatives and in a few numbers where Handel's through-bass figures have been incorporated in the arrangement.

Geez, I have to type all those info for you Nanaplaza board members ! What an honour ! :D

They start to practice in September every year. They usually put a note in Bangkokpost to let people know. So, those of you who would like to join you're welcomed provided you have to be able to read music as well.Basically, they practice once a week on Sunday afternoon for about 2 hours. They also give you out a CD to practice with. I know this because I got chated up with a girl who join the choir many times but not this year as she was thinking she wouldn't be around when they had the concerts.

BB

>Where do you find all this info on concerts, exhibitions and other stuff ? Just in the papers ?<

Some from the papers and some from a free bi-monthly magazine like BK magazine. They are on circulation every first and third Friday of the month. They have many pick-up joints, eg. Emporium, Pomodoro (soi 5 and 7), Bookazine, Asia books, Arts (suk 33), Delifrance (Clinton plaza).

>As for concerts, does BKK have a philamonic orchestra ? Where do they play ? what is their repertoire ?

I'm always game for a nice evening out <

I got some info but lost now. It has an application form to be a member of the foundation of BSO. You will get a discount for their concerts all year. I got this info at the Thailand cultural center. Your gf should be able to call them and find out.

But if you like free BSO concert in a garden, here's the info. Sounds romantic, uh?

Tenth annual "Concert in the Garden"

1. 7 December 2002 17.00-18.30 hrs. Somdej-prasri-nakarintra graden - BSO Light Orchestra

2. 8 December 2002 17.00-19.30 hrs.

Lumpini Garden - Bangkok Symphony Orchestra

3. 14 December 2002 17.00-18.30 hrs. Somdej-prasri-nakarintra graden - BSO Light Orchestra

4. 15 December 2002 17.00-19.30 hrs. Lumpini Garden - Bangkok Symphony Orchestra

5. 21 December 2002 17.00-18.30 hrs. Somdej-prasri-nakarintra graden - BSO Light Orchestra

6. 21 December 2002 17.00-19.30 hrs. Train Authority Garden - Bangkok Wind Symphony

7. 22 December 2002 17.00-19.30 hrs. Lumpini Garden - Bangkok Wind Symphony

8. 28 December 2002 17.00-19.30 hrs. Train Authority Garden - Bangkok Symphony Orchestra

9. 29 December 2002 17.00-19.30 hrs. Lumpini Garden - Bangkok Symphony Orchestra

10. 4 January 2003 17.00-19.30 hrs. Train Authority Garden Bangkok Wind Symphony

11. 5 January 2003 17.00-19.30 hrs. Lumpini Garden Bangkok Wind Symphony

12. 11 January 2003 17.00-19.30 hrs. Train Authority Garden Bangkok Symphony Orchestra

13. 12 January 2003 17.00-19.30 hrs. Lumpini Garden Bangkok Symphony Orchestra

14. 19 January 2003 17.00-19.30 hrs. Lumpini Garden Bangkok Symphony Orchestra

15. 26 January 2003 17.00-19.30 hrs. Lumpini Garden Bangkok Symphony Orchestra

I don't know where 'Somdej-prasri-nakarintra graden' is. But I know "Train Authority Garden (Suan rod-fai)" is situated close to Jatujak garden. I think I'll go to one of those. Got to wait until it FULLY stops to rain. :D It would be very nice to have a blanket to sit on and have some wine and cheese with your gf. ;) Or even fried chicken and sticky rice ! (I prefer the later) When the sun sets it is very beautiful jing jing ka.

Archived