The Two Towers

gobbledonk

Before I get flamed, please note that this IS the section for 'other leisure activities'. Yes, there is life outside of the English Premier League :)

OK, on to 'The Two Towers', Mark Jacksons second in the trilogy based on Tolkiens classic gothic fantasy. I've never read 'The Hobbit' or 'Lord of the Rings', Tolkiens original masterpieces, and I went to each of the first two movies with an open mind. Unlike the last two 'Star Wars' episodes, I found the second to be even better than the first. I am aware of the criticisms re cliches creeping in etc, but as pure entertainment, I have rarely enjoyed 3 hours so completely. My only criticism is that Jackson felt compelled to include a love interest (this may be true to the original - I dont know) : he could have left approx 30 minutes on the cutting room floor for mine.

I have read that Tolkien's vision of the Dark Forces was shaped by his experiences as a soldier in the trenches of WW1, and his fear that the machinery of the state would one day consume us all. Jackson has created some truly hideous apparitions for this film, and it was the battle scenes which really blew me away in both films. The storming of the castle in the climax is a fantastic blend of live action and CGI - seamless (to my jaundiced eyes at any rate).

Bring on the next one, Mr Jackson !

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Here here, we went to see The Two Towers Saturday night, those battle scenes were something else. What about those freaky trees :: :: Gotta get the DVD ASAP!!!

Hi,

Have yet to see this episode (dying to though), but really enjoyed the first episode. I have no doubt that the second will be great as well.

A friend brought me the Extended DVD version for episode one a month ago, and I really enjoyed that. 6 totally new scenes, and about a dozen extended ones. Oh, and ~8-10 hours of behind the scenes stuff. Well worth the money.

Sanuk!

Phil,

The trees were kinda freaky, werent they ? Kinda reminded me of some of the stuff you see in kids shows, but given a malevolent edge. It was clear that Jackson (and Tolkien) was trying to say something with this bit of 'eco-terrorism' : nature reasserting itself over the military-industrial complex.

Or perhaps I'm just reading too much into it : I'll leave that branch of Tolkien philosopohy to more learned members.

KS,

I only own 1 DVD - Springsteen Live in NYC - but I am tempted to get the entire set for this epic when all 3 have been released. Hell, I may even buy the books - the sheer speed of the second one does leave you wondering 'Where the hell have those guys been for the last two hours ?'. Thats the kind of thing that authors are very aware of, but Jackson clearly had to make some concessions to the fact that audiences wont sit thru a 6 hour movie.....

On that note, does anyone remember the old convention of Intermission ? It made for a welcome relief when you could split a 3 hour movie in two, or see two 90 minute movies together - superb stuff. Guess it doesnt make good business sense - less sessions in a 16 hour cinema day.

Before I get flamed

Artie,

Good post. I'm glad to see something more of a leisure thread. Besides LG and I are here to extinguish any flames as this ain't the Bar.

I'm also dying to see this movie. Unfortunately I've been stuck taking care of a sick baby and now I'm sick as well.

With the success of this film it will be around long enough for me to see it a few times. I saw the first episode three times.

Brink15,

Thanks - apologies for being so defensive re flaming. I saw an earlier film thread that some psychotic Arsenal fan had jumped on, claiming that this area was only for sports, particularly any sport which involved Arsenal. Guys, its just a silly game where some overpaid louts kick a ball around a field for what-seems-like-forever...... then they go off and shag supermodels while you try to get home in one piece. Now Lacrosse - there's a real mans sport !

You saw the original 3 times ? Wow - you are definitely a candidate for the DVDs ! I'm sure you'll be back on your feet in no time, and I hope you enjoy The Two Towers as much as I did.

BTW, perhaps the expats could sate my curiousity : do they show movies with their original English soundtrack in BKK ? Surely Thai subtitles are preferable to dubbing with English subtitles. I'd imagine that larger-than-life stuff like LOTR is as big a hit in non-English speaking countries as it is n the West : anyone ?

I take exception to any remarks that are not complimentary to the Arsenal!! Okay, I got that out of the way.

I enjoyed the movie also. As for as the love story, nowadays its required if you want teenage girls to see it also.

I read The Hobbit and the Trilogy years ago in HS and although my memory hasn't served me well through the years, I do recall the scenes and must say its a very good adaption.

We are all aware of how movies are so much different (worse) than the books they are based on.

I think one of the smartest things they did was to film the trilogy all at once so you retain the same actors who won't try to hold the sequel hostage with astronomical wage requirements.

The only drawback to that is that technology sometimes advances exponentially and if the original Star Wars had done what they did now, it wouldn't be as good. Seeing the original Star Wars and the present 'prequel' its so different technologically.

Tolkien was also a devout Christian and the 'death and ressurection' of Gandalf was akin to Jesus and of course the good versus evil theme where it looks like evil will win and then good....uh oh...almost gave away the ending...sorry ::

PS: I'll have to add an 'Up the Arsenal' to punish those that dare speak ill of them.

BTW, perhaps the expats could sate my curiousity : do they show movies with their original English soundtrack in BKK ? Surely Thai subtitles are preferable to dubbing with English subtitles. I'd imagine that larger-than-life stuff like LOTR is as big a hit in non-English speaking countries as it is n the West : anyone ?

It seems that most English-language movies have Thai subtitles. Many of the more popular ones are also available with a Thai soundtrack, too, usually in a different theater. The smaller-budget flicks often don't offer a Thai soundtrack as it's rather expensive to redub the film.

So, you'll find all the local Thais in the Thai soundtrack movies and all the sex tourists with their girlfriends in the English soundtrack ones. :: Something for everyone! :) Regardless of which version you see, you'll be treated to ringing cell phones and chatting girls ::

PhordPhan

::

Hi all!

Maybe slightly off topic has anyone bought the DVD. Did they manage to fit the whole three hour movie onto one disk without loss of quality. I have the the extended version of the first movie and the the movie is split over two disks.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived