The Two Towers

gobbledonk

"A friend brought me the Extended DVD version for episode one a month ago, and I really enjoyed that. 6 totally new scenes, and about a dozen extended ones. Oh, and ~8-10 hours of behind the scenes stuff. Well worth the money."

I totally agree. They extended the film on the new DVD release and it's actually better than the original, unlike some extended versions ie Apocalypse Now Redux. The original is a very long sit for most viewer so I can understand why it was trimmed. Well worth a purchase, I agree.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Yeah, some of the new scenes are quite funny. I rather enjoyed the one where the Fellowship is leaving Rivendell with Frodo leading them. When reaching the gate he turns around to Gandalf and whispers "Which was is Mordor? Left or right?"

Tried watching the Two Towers on Wednesday, but it was extremely crowded and we did not have that many options:

- wait 1 hour and sit on the first row -> my neck would be killing me

- wait 1.5 hours and get the deluxe seats, and pay 600 Baht each! -> yeah, right for that I can watch the movie, buy the DVD and have money left for dinner

- wait 3 hours -> too long of a wait

Ended up buying Goldmember on TV and watching it at home.

Oh well, try again this weekend.

Sanuk!

KS,

Hi.

The delux seats cost 600 baht ? I assume these 'deluxe seats' are very special indeed ! Unless I'm missing something here, thats a sizeable chunk of the average Thai's monthly budget ...

Having grown up in Sydney, I can relate to the size of the crowds which flock to the more popular movies but, strangely, the mania doesnt seem to last much beyond opening night here in Brissie. I saw it at a cut-price ($7.50 - about 180 baht) cinema, and it was only abut 50% full. The locals arent always this laid back - I was happy to get good seats for the Springsteen tour in March : that sold out hours after tickets went on sale.

You talking about the Siam EGV KS?

I almost got caught by that as well. I remembered the price of the deluxe in MBX and thought they would be roughly the same 200 against 100. But when I saw 600B each I thought stuff that and when to queue. Fortunately we were lucky as they released all the phone booking seats that hadnt been picked up as we got to the window.

Arrival in cinema 1.20 saw movie 1.55 - on a saturday !

Overall a brilliant movie but I actually found some of the battle CGI / live motion insertion distracting. It somehow just seemed out of place, too bright, too jerky. Like where they first met the wolf dog things on the road to Helms Deep and Legolas (?) jumps down about 8 feet or so from a rock onto the grass and fires an arrow. It just looked wrong.

Apart from that I want part 3 NOW ( with a nice big cushion for my sore arse please, bring back the intermission ! )

Variable pricings, based on the length of the movie - Holy Overcharge, Batman ! This sort of thing would be cool if it went both ways, and you could get a refund on part of the price when you walked out 15 minutes into Hudson Hawk or anything with Adam Sandler in it .....

It seemed like they knew it would be a big hit or they would not have spent the money up front for all 3. That being said and assumed as fact, why not start off with a remake of 'The Hobbit'? 4 movies, more money made and you get the whole entire story.

At the risk ofa hijack, I also saw 'Gangs Of New York' also. Not bad. A little chaotic towards the end and my recollection of that period of history is a little inconsistent with it.

Back to Two Towers. When is the last installment due? I can't wait. I hear there are already tourists making pilgrimages to the Hobbit village where it was filmed in NZ. I guarantee you most are Americans. If adults have no shame dressing up like Klingons and aliens to attend a Star Trek convention here, we certainly have no shame flying thousands of miles to pay homage to the Lord of The Rings.

"Apart from that I want part 3 NOW ( with a nice big cushion for my sore arse please, bring back the intermission ! )"

It will be a long year this year waiting for the next installment. I kept on waiting for the intermission too. My 5 year old daughter was fascinated by the movie and hardly squirmed through the 3 hour length. But I could have used a cushion as well and not to mention a port-a-potty. :drunk:

CS,

According to the official site , The Return of the King is due out for Xmas 2003 - thats just 12 months away ! Woohoo !

As I said in my opening post, I havent read 'The Hobbit'. Do you feel that doing so would add/detract from the narrative that I've been exposed to thus far re Middle Earth ? To be honest, I find the Hobbits themselves to be a little too much like Celtic leprechauns - doesnt really capture my imagination the way the forces of evil do (I guess that says something about my twisted psyche - lol !).

Gangs of New York looked great in the preview, and I relish the thought of seeing Day-Lewis as a villain : sensational actor.

12 months! WTF! Well, there better be a Star Wars sequel in between somewhere to keep me occupied. Which reminds me of a heated argument I got into with my nephews about who would win in a fight---a jedi or gandalf. As you can tell I'm the uncle that acts younger than they are. ::

The Hobbit wasn't entirely in the little village. We get introduced to Gandalf, Gollum, background on dwarfs and elves also. You don't need it as part of the series but it doesn't hurt either. The main character was in the opening moments of the Lord of The Rings, that is Bilbo Baggins, from whom Frodo got the ring. Basically it was Bilbo in the role of Frodo. There was a dragon in it that would have been cool but not as much excitement in terms of battles and orcs and all that. But to answer your question no, the Hobbit wasn't essential but it would have been nice. Hey, maybe a 'prequel' someday like Star Wars!

Day-Lewis did a superb job in 'Gangs of NY'.

One of the good jobs the movie did was to actually make me alternate my emotions about Gollum from scorn to pity and back. In the book the Elves were a bit more mysterious and seemed to have more powers than was suggested in the movie. But all in all I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Archived