The Two Towers

gobbledonk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top entertainment, it really is! I know it's all computer-generated and stuff but that doesn't get me near being able to imagine how the hell they actually do it!! My two (6 & 9) were transfixed - not even a piss-break needed!!

Went straight out afterwards and bought the 'Top Trumps' pack which I had never played before but was quite fun with such recent memories of the characters (especiallyas I got dealt both the wizards and the 'dark lord'!).

LG

LG,

Went straight out afterwards and bought the 'Top Trumps' pack which I had never played before but was quite fun with such recent memories of the characters (especiallyas I got dealt both the wizards and the 'dark lord'!).

What is the 'Top Trumps' pack?

It's a card game where, in this case for example, each card has the picture and details of one character from the movie, giving age, height, magical powers, strength etc. The first player looks at his first card and chooses one of these attributes and reads out his rating. The other players then read out the same ratings from their first cards and the highest takes the 'trick' and chooses the next category. Obviously a little knowledge of the subject helps so that you can judge which of the categories is likely to be the strongest for that category. So, if you turned up Gandalf, 'Magic' would be a fairly safe bet.

Have a look at Top Trumps for some idea of the range of packs available!!

LG

Hi,

"You talking about the Siam EGV KS?"

No, Major Ratchayothin.

I actually may have been mistaken and she might have meant 600 Baht for a double seat.

Anyway, saw the movie yesterday as well, and thought it was fucking brilliant. Can't wait for the next one.

Once all 3 are on DVD I can see myself sitting to 10 hours of this :)

Sanuk!

I went to see this movie solo today. The effects were the best I have ever seen - with no comparable competition.

My past benchmarks were the first 10 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" (and I was a US Army Infantry Officer for 10 years), and most of "Band of Brothers" on HBO.

But, "The Two Towers" was awesome. I mean, how did they execute the scenes with the horses plowing through the "whatevers" (bad guys) as the King, Asgard, and company departed Helms Deep?

How did they execute the incredible scenes as the "fighting trees" unleashed the dammed up river, and all the bad guys got swept away in the torrents that flooded "bad guy territory".

Obviously, I am not an afficianado hung up on character roles, But this really was a brilliant performance.

Just the character Golem (Schmidel?) was an incredible piece of artifice.

I'm not a big fan of fictional fantasy, but this installment was brilliant. Like nothing before, this film empire can virtually write its own ticket.

Stone Soup

StoneSoup,

Firstly, the horrors of modern wartfare aside, I think you'd have to agree that soldiering in the 21st Century has to be preferable to the pike-and-broadsword combat depicted in the LOTR films. I know filmmakers take a lot of artistic license in choreographing a battle, but facing a Cavalry charge with a pike isnt my idea of fun.

Back in the 80's, I can remember being told that the Australian Army was one of the last to maintain a functional bayonet, but that went when we changed over to the Steyr Aug. Shooting someone from a distance is one thing - driving a 2 foot pigsticker into their innards and twisting it is another. Thankfully, my 4 years finished well before East Timor appeared on our horizon, but the guys did a great job, and I can now appreciate why the Green Machine is so big on discipline - it really does make the difference when the shit hits the fan.

Golem poses a puzzle for mine on several levels - the reviewers on our 'Movie Show' praised the actors performance : I can only assume that the character was CGI and the 'actor' did the voiceover, but I guess its one of those pieces of movie magic you just have to sit back and enjoy :)

artiew -

Concur. My comments were not meant to compare the actual content of armed hostility - my comments were related only to the capturing of effects by movie directors in a way that really seems authentic.

I agree that ancient warfare was brutal in a way that today's techno-war probably cannot match. Weather, disease, availability of food and water - things that are routine aspects of planning in modern warfare - these alone were nightmares for armies of long ago.

Check out:

http://itech1.coe.uga.edu/studio/seminars/visualization/minard.html

which depicts the fate of Napolean's Army in its attack on, and subsequent retreat from Moscow during the winter of 1812-13. Truly a brillant depiction of a brutal story.

I'm sure that a whole collection of different technologies were applied to produce the various depictions of the Golem character. Eeerily well done.

The Fighting Fish

i think a film of The Hobbit would have been good.

as CS says it sets the story for LOTR.

many of the races are introduced and even though it may lack in battle scenes,it would have made up in other things.

Stonesoup.

Band Of Brothers?.

another series i started to watch,but gave up on.

i am fed up with Hollywoods version of the war.

the yanks won it with no help from any other nation.

they forget that Great Britain had to fight alone for over 2 years and the Americans only joined in because of PH.

but after they did join in,all the other nationalaties were made redundant.

the Americans won it all.

Archived