Is the feel of the board changing?

khunsanuk

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gs and KS,

I'm not sure to what extent the board has changed because... I have changed over the past few years, and I now hang out on different sections of the board than I used to. If the sections where I used to spend more time have changed, I don't know about it.

To get to the point I'd like to offer - I don't see NanaPlaza as The board. I see it as a numer of different boards that suit a number of different interests. And I think that this is an indication of success, great success.

Should anything be changed, or fixed, to make things the way they were? I don't think so. Unless you're referring to those particular sections of the board - and I think that Gs possibly is - that I don't frequent much anymore.

In any event, the different forums that make up NanaPlaza should evolve to suit the interests of the participants. If that is happening, then good. To remain fixed means death if interests are changing.

Is participation dropping off? Is that what sparked your question KS?

Grabii

goatscrot said:

KS,

Having been a member of this board since Jan 2000 and a friend of your for just as long I will post my two cents.

Yes, the board has changed and of course that is an unavoidable consequence of time and growth.

I do think there are some good changes as well as some bad. Many of us are no longer the rabid whoremngers we used to be and the board has given us a place where we can talk about other subjects.

However, I do think that the old mods (some of them good friends of ours) had a much better idea of the job of a mod. They followed your simple rules and were never concerned about flexing their own muscle. They also had a sense of humor and did not take themselves so seriously. Hell it is a board about whoremongering, not one on ending world poverty.

All of us are, were, or hope to be whoremongers. We pay for sex and for the most part would be considered morally abhorant in our own countries, yet on this board some are attacked for using the word whore! It is as if the very feminist cunts we are escaping from are moderating this board. One example is when the name Yetmae was deemed offensive. This NEVER would have happened on the old board. If something that silly offends someone who is fucking whores then methinks we have an identity problem.

This board was founded to celebrate whores and whoremongering. We posted elaborate trip reports of our sexual escapades throughout SE Asia. We (without giving girls names away I might mention) talked of what they did, how they did it, and how much we enjoyed it. It was fun.......now of course as I stated earlier some of us have moved on and want to discuss other things...but let us not forget what brought us here. THAI and SE ASIAN POON!!!!

I would love to see the spirit of the old Delphi board rekindled. Long live he that is the monger of whores.....

As Father T says-

Live by the Whoremandments and ponder the Whoreattitudes.

GS

:p

Hi all,

As far as a direction for where you would like to see this board go, where would it be?

More to the up-to-minute happenings in the current sanuk scene, or about subjects related to other things Thai?

I think the board, to some extent, is going through growing pains. What started as a board almost solely committed to nightlife sanuk, has evolved into many other aspects of life in Thailand. While this seemingly could only be seen as a good thing, it has produced some problems relating to bringing together an eclectic group of members, not all on the same wave-length, or on the same page, if you will. Sanukers vs. non-sanukers, both with radically different agenda's, wants, and needs. And with the opinions, and attitudes, that commonly reside in both camps.

I guess the question is can both sides co-exist? Or should we be a board committed to a sole agenda? And if so, what should that agenda be? I do realize that in a perfect world, we should all be able to co-exist in perfect harmony, but without a common central topic, such as Thailands nightlife, there is bound to be a much greater conflict, as in attempting to address all things Thai. And that is where we are now, IMO.

Should we have a common focus, expansion, or remain status quo?

Your thoughts, and wisdom......?

HT

All of the boards I know of with similar subject matter seem to go through high and low periods. Could be this board is currently in something of a slump and will get better in the near future. :grinyes:

Having said that, in my opinion things have changed some since I first started reading here. Yes, you are more restricted in what you can post (want proof - just look at the ever increasing list of no-no's) and at times the moderators can be a bit heavy handed, thin-skinned or even vindictive.

I've had two or three of my posts deleted by moderators. One, I could understand the reason for, but was clueless on the others. Also, if a moderator deletes someone's post, I think it would be nice if he sent the poster a short explanation and or warning (unless it's really obvious where he stepped over the line). Overall though, I think the moderators do a pretty good job.

Someone mentioned the board may be hard on newbies and tends to be sort of a members club for the "old hands". Yeah, I don't think there is any doubt about this. One thing that might be helpful is to do away with the Star system and also the member's status. You can pretty much establish that just by looking at date joined and how many posts they've made.

I think the status thing may not have been such a good idea from the beginning since it encourages fellas to make frivolous posts to move up to the next level. I mean really, I've seen guys who have only been posting a few months and already have many hundreds! Often their posts consist of little more than a handful of words with a bunch of graemlins... It might be better if the board encouraged quality over quantity.

In summary, the board my not be as interesting as it once was, but if I knew of a better alternative I'd be posting there instead of here. :)

ST

Hi KS,

I enjoy the board just the way it is, although I would like to see more participation from some of the lurkers.

Perhaps we need two boards - one for goatscrot and like-minded folk, and another for the rest of us. If it reverts to the Delphi-style board, please remove my member details from your database.

Cheers,

Artie

Yes, the feeling has changed a bit, and I don't mind. I suppose I have changed, and am more interested in informationsharing now, rather than repetitive whoremongering stories.

(Mind you "Quality" stories, such as Turkfists', or Cent's stories, are still amongst my favourites here.)

Info about travel, accomodation, availability of Molam, Social issues, relationship issues are all relevant. Of course I do not read as much as 3 years ago, but that is mainly because many of the information provided I have alraedy found, or some of the subjects I've read many times before.

Don't think it needs fixing.

KS,

Sure the board changes. The people that post frequently change as newer participants become more active, old farts settle down with loved one, or lurkers come out of the closet. That change of personalities change the feel of the board as much as the maturation of the old timers.

But I never felt it is really changing for the worst. There is no other place on the web I have frequented for so long. All others (regardless of theior topic) went to total hell in just a few months or years. (anyone still read soc.culture.thia).

Having said that, I like the decorum the mods bring here. Too PC? Well, some here are, but not the mods that I have noticed.

Yes, some of the newbies get their questions cut short by others that have heard the same-same over and over. But as someone said above, asking the same old question over again is helpful, because those answers certainly do change these days. The old days, only the names of the bars changed. Now you gotta know who is showing this week, what bars are shut down, who is open when?

Above all else I want to point out how the expanded board gives the chance to discuss expanded topics. Relationships :(, legal et all. It is amazing how quickly you can get answers on an endless list of questions!

Sure there are posters that don't like each other here. Kinda like real life eh?

>hints that there is a growing amount of people on this board who feel that the overal 'feel' of the board is changing.

Most of us would know of "Private Dancer" book. Well, when I read it for the first time 3 years ago, my jaw dropped.

Went through the same book last week, realized that I now know about the environment more than what the author knew at the time of writing.

That's the change on my side. Many of us went through that and I believe, hence the change of the board we participate at.

Yes, I agree, a couple of people seem to get great joy from saying that something has been discussed before. If they don't like seeing it then they should not look at it, and keep quiet.

KS:

Could you put the webpage display back to the way it was before, so that he posts don't disappear after a week, or that there is just one page of posts showing? They should be available for much longer to give a chance for those people who are not here that often to see them. This might affect readership, especially in the trip report section. There's lots of posts there that I missed, or would like to read again.

Archived