How big?

junglesoup

I know this may not be a particularly interesting post but I'm curious so what the hell.

I was thinking Bangkok and the surrounding areas must be very big. The reason I say this is that the flight from DOn Muang to The new airport( SUvarnabhumi, left at 7.29 and arrived at 8.10. Thats 40 minutes to cross the city. When I ve been on the express ways they seem to go on forever.

SO how big is Bangkok? I know the population of other cities is larger but as far as area goes BKK must be up there with the biggest. I ve been in Calcutta and MUmbai( BOmbay) and Delhi before. These cities are hopelessly crowded but dont seem to be as big in area. ALso Bangkok is a very high city, and flat.

Bangkok is very flat, but also VERY low, if global flooding ever occurs Bangkok is gone.

The population is misleading, oficially its something like 5 million, but un officially its double that. Reason being in Thailand people are registered to their houses, and many are from outside bangkok.

Distance, no idea for sure but Rama 6 to Chaengwattana is about 19 kms, the new airport is exactly opposite direction, but I guess about 30+ kms by freeway.

DOG

I live between Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi, the former is approx 27 KM North and the later is approx 23 km South, so about 50 KM between them.

By Comparision London is approx 60KM across, if you use diameter of the M25, the outer ringroad as the basis.

I remember doing the Worlds Shortest International Flight, Bahrain-Al Kohbar, seperated by 7 KM of sea, and even that flight took about 30 minutes, flight times are Terminal to Terminal not Air time.

Good question.

Likewise, I have the feeling of the megalopolis extending over a really vast area.

Keep in mind though that there are several political boundaries within the area (Thonburi, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and so on). Bangkok, strictly speaking, may not be that large.

I spent a couple of minutes searching on the web, but could hardly find any usable numbers. According to Wikipedia, Bangkok is 1,568.7 square meters in area.

Some other cities for comparison:

Mexico City 1,499 km² (4,979 km² Greater Mexico City)

Rio de Janeiro 1,260 km²

New York City 1,214.4 km²

Greater London 1,579 km²

Delhi 1,483 km²

Tokyo 2,187.08 km²

Kiruna (Sweden) 20 000 km2

Mount Isa, Queensland, Australia, 42 904 km2 ;)

Note: Flight time between Don Muang - Cobra Swamp is motivated by the need of serving cocktails and handing out souveniers not actual distance (they're really not that far between).

The distance was not the issue in your flight but for your plane to be added to the line. Your flight crew was probably given a number of "vectors" and had to follow published approach procudures that could have added unnessary time to your flight.

Additionally BKK area air traffic is horrible, about as congested as the roads at times.

Not even in the running for the "large as fuck" status (in area) per Wiki:

Jakarta: 661.52 km²

Manila: 38.55 km²

Here's the list by area

And here's one by popluation. Jakarta's 9th on that one, with Manila 20th and Bangkok 35th (due to the use of "official numbers", otherwise BKK would be ~10th).

Cheers,

SD

Yes, just measured it on Google Earth and the southern extent of Don Muang to the northern extent of Suvarnabhumi is 27km (not sure where the other post of 50km came from), so if the plane took 41 minutes it must have been flying at just 39.5kph, hardly enough to get off the ground. Perhaps they added on time finding bags at the new terminal?!

Archived