Arabs taking over Sukhumvit?

bibblies

After finishing at the gym I have lunch at Al Hussin's Restaurant on Soi Arab a couple time a week . The food is great and I'm brought my usual favorites without ordering. The patrons are a mix long time expat and Arab regulars, and an assortment of tourist stumbling in both Western and Arab.

Generally the Arabs are loud, demanding, rude and never leave even 1 satang in the tip tray.

I feel very comfortable there and the outdoor visuals are highly entertaining ( I like Fellini films). Occasionally I get a leery and malicious stare from a visitor or group or Arabs, I make eye contact until they look away.

-O

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is no one going to say anything? Does no one do the Midnight Mile anymore?

The walk between Nana and Soi Cowboy is now infested with Arabs - whole families of them, women in full black 'postbox' regalia,:

i noticed that too when i was in that exact spot a couple months ago. I had to laugh, because they were next to the girls hawking massages and I thought hmmm wonder what would happen if i asked if they gave massages.

The Muslims/Arabs are quickly taking over Bangkok.

I never saw Muslims in my area, Soi 93 Suk, but they are there now, shopping and what not.

So far, they haven't made trouble, bit I can see them advancing more and more west every year.

Time to circle the wagons :dunno:

"...Generally the Arabs are loud, demanding, rude and never leave even 1 satang in the tip tray..."

That is my take on Israelis. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Regarding the tipping thing. I ordered a shwrma (sp) sandwich form some Thai girl wearing the scarf in Little Arabia, when I finished, I paid, and left a tip, she said "...NO! Cannot take..." and gave it back. Not sure about Arab culture, maybe tips are bad? They were considered an insult in Japan years back (or so I have been told), maybe same same?

Not sure about Arab culture, maybe tips are bad? They were considered an insult in Japan years back (or so I have been told), maybe same same?

Thailand wasn't a tipping society either before Americans and other westerners brought that habit there :rolleyes:

I remember a time when you were encouraged not to tip ... in Sydney! If the taxi fare was maybe $.95, you could give the driver $1.00. But the local folks would chew you out if they caught you tipping any more. They insisted tips were for special service only and they didn't want it to become expected.

That was a long time ago though. :(

Archived