Arabs taking over Sukhumvit?

bibblies

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Sukhumvit Road is now classified as a Red Light District??? There are red-light pockets within Sukhumvit Road but to tar the whole area as being red-light is a bit much. I'm sure all the office workers and the hi-so Thais that live/work/shop on Sukhumvit Road appreciate your classification

Yep, I specified the area from Nana to Asoke (on the odd side). At night, from 12 onwards, pretty much a red-light district. There's a reason why decent Thai girls don't care to be there at that time... 80% of the girls on the street at that time will be hookers. What would you call that?

Just because hookers and johns congregate there doesn't mean they have a greater right to be on Sukhumvit than anyone else.

My point is, at crowded times, I have a more logical reason to be there at 1 in the morning!

And yes, to me, the whole area between Asoke and Nana should be a designated monger-only walkway. :grin:

To be fair, most Arabs are at least polite, getting out of the way and letting me pass more readily than some others. But the sheer number of them is annoying at bottlenecks. I'm unused to having to wade my way through prams and fat women in full black robes at this time of night and I can't see why they're not somewhere else. What is the attraction there for them? Shopping? Walking? I'm happy to point out better areas...

I mostly made the post just because I was surprised that no one mentioned it. There are so so many of them here now, it's so striking. I've never seen them in such numbers.

Have to disagree here. Sukhumvit turned into a freelance hangout because of Purachaiâ??s ridiculous social order crusade. Before this nonsense started there have been plenty of late night places to go (Nana Disco, good old Rainbow 2000 and of course Thermae). Nobody had to be bothered sitting on the street after 2:00am.

This all happened when Rachada (Asoke on the south side of Sukhumvit) was widened and soi 16 cut off from reaching Suk.

I'd say that Rosemary (now part of Rainbow 4, along with the old Woodstock), Three Roses (now a part of Spanky's, along with the old Hog's Breath) and Rainbow (now Rainbow 1) all moved in at about the same time. 1982ish...

As you say, Lucky Luke's was already there, in its present location.

As a point of trivia, Sunshine was the other displaced soi 16 bar, and moved to Cowboy, where it is now AfterSkool.

Cheers,

SD

Archived