Airport train link?

drogon

This from today's bkk post online.

Airport link to open Monday

It basically says it will open Monday for full operation from 6a till midnight. Fares on the city line will start at 15 baht and the express line will be 100 baht, which I think is 50 baht lower than what they were talking about before. There are baggage problems, it seems though. As I expected.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"It might be a decent commuter transport for residents but I think once the visitors use it and then understand that taxis are a MUCH better option, it will just fade away. "

Agree. My parents are arriving on Monday and for them it would be (if we were not picking them up ourselves by car) 2 x 100 Baht for the train + 70 Baht for taxi or ~200 Baht for taxi + 50 surcharge. Latter option is of course WAY more convenient and at least as cheap.

Sanuk!

Thais, if travelling in a group, go by taxi even to destinations along the Skytrain. A taxi is cheaper than each one paying 40 baht for the Skytrain. Only exception is during the rush hour, when ground travel is terribly slow. I don't see the Skytrain to the airport being any great success.

Recently been to Shanghai using the Maglev speed train which also does not offload you in town centre but in a suburb . but there is very convenient accesss to the underground and although changing trains is no fun it is alltogether a lot faster than taxi . It also makes a lot of sense to use Heathrow Express in London but the Bangkok version does not seem to add any benefit for the majority of travellers .

I would use it myself as I normally only have hand luggage and usually stay in the Asoke area but I'm not sure how easy the connection to the MRT is at Makkasan? A previous post says no access to Phetchburi MRT station. Don't have recent experience of that area myself. Any guys who have good knowledge of that area, just how easy or not is it to get off at Makkasan and hop on the MRT?

Simie.

Interesting comments.

Will be arriving at 07:00 hours on Tuesday September 28th.

I'll probably give it a try (depends on my condition after a long flight).

In my case the cost doesn't matter - more interested in giving it a try and see what happens.

I wouldn't be interested in hauling my bags at Makkasan to get on the MRT. Taxi from there to Soi 18 would be far better option. Looking at Google Earth it looks like a straight run from the train to Soi 18.

Will keep an eye on comments from other users now that its going to open next Monday.

Like we all suspect it may well open but not fully operational.

Might be a bit worried about checking my luggage in in Makkasan. Its supposed to travel on the train too - probably not on the same train as your on.

If I do use it I'll write something here about it.

Archived