New Night Market

Horneytorney

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link. It explains the origin of the term. But it doesn't explain the background of the construction of the night market which seems to be a flop...

PS: Concerning wikipedia most "white elephant" projects seems to be public projects (road construction, large scale architecture, e.g.)...

I think the usage of "White Elephant" in this context seems to be "useless".

I'm reminded of a certain tendency of the wealthy classes, that they can do no wrong.

After success and wealth being handed to them on a plate, for so long, why would a major project not succeed? We can safely ignore the global economic problems, of course we can...

Hi,

another flop is the Siam Paradise Nightbazaar in outer Sukhumvit. Since it's opening more than a year ago, I have never heard anything positive about it!

Hadn't even heard of this one, and looks like their website is down already (account suspended).

Sanuk!

The only way anyone could 'make money' from a white elephant would be illegally - either as a tax dodge or a money laundering vehicle. Its the only explanation for the ability of some bars to remain open year after year. Nothing like finding a nice quiet bar, buying a beer and realising that you are helping the Russian Mob stay in business. I guess you'd never leave your front door if you spent your days worrying about stuff like that.

I think that every quiet or deserted bar is a money laundering vehicle of the mafia, mob or other gangsters is a urban myth. Majority are just terribly managed, have owners who loose money or go bankrupt, change hand and the same starts again, illusions of the new owner, lousy management, loose money again etc.

there are legions of unsuccessful barowners in Thailand!

Actually most of the unsuccessful bar owners have left Thailand, but I agree with your sentiment!

yes, some go back healed from their illusions or to heal their addiction (to alcohol or girls or whatever), but some try it again if they have some money left or talking others into stupid invenstments

yes, some go back healed from their illusions or to heal their addiction (to alcohol or girls or whatever), but some try it again if they have some money left or talking others into stupid invenstments

Don't you think for any loser leaving Thailand a new one arrives?

Archived