What really buggers you in LOS?

limbo

A couple of things just from yesterday in khon kaen. I thought I would try the karaoke bar in the kosa hotel and was told the price was 30 baht a song, when I said this was too much they said 15 baht, better. Problem was the staff were all watching the TV which they did not turn down even when asked. So i'm paying for songs I cannot hear because they want to watch the f###ing tennis. In the end I complain, something I rarely do and they decide not to charge me for the songs after all.

After that thought I would have a stab at the massage, the hotel has 2 fishbowls, one trad one body. The body body girls were 900 and 1500. I never seem to be able to pick a good one so I thought I would get a trad in the room at 300 baht for '2 hours'. The massage was not up to much, but then beds are not the best places for a proper massage. She stopped after an hour and made a play for HJ extra, at 1000 baht!!!. After yesterday I can agree on thai's thinking we are all made of money and giving poor service.

One final moan why don't hotel breakfast cooks learn how to cook eggs the ways falangs seem to like them-cooked, you think they would pick this up.-peter

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi jj,

I will go for 2 - 5 of yours. I don't want to make political comments (1) and I never get 6. Most people I know are Americans, Aussies or Kiwis - not Brits.

This issue has come up a few times, but the way some farangs behave here is beyond belief. A newbie cannot be expected to have a deep understanding of Thai culture - I don't claim to have that myself - but it is really not difficult to behave with a bit of sensitivity. And that goes for pissing off other farangs as well. Do they do it deliberately? Maybe this is how they behave at home.

Khwai

Now what does get you going

---------------------------

stupid, unfriendly, pathetic farangs, of which the number seems to grow everyday, ahah! Fortunately, I was in Issan for 10 days, and there are not too many assholes staying in or visiting the region. there is lot of minute stuff with thais that annoys me as I encounter them, but it usually does for a minute or 2. I deplore their constant lack of interest for the rest of the world, except thru tidbitd of media infos, but that' s both their problem and their charm. Why think too much? Enjoy!

You have to take this country as whole, warts and all, otherwise you will be stuck with that not so sharp ctricial western mind of us, and then you forget not to take anything too seriously. And half the fun is gone, when you do that!

It is said that the wisest man never left his village, read a book or saw TV. He just kbew what was in the hearts of his fellow man.

Time for that philosophical pouring from the empty into the void ? :neener:

A man who has found Paradise will eventually destroy it.

--------------------------------------

good post, but lemme tell you, I have found Paradise a few years ago, and i have not destroyed it. It's called ISSAN, and I thrive on it! May tell the story of my trip there these last few days, not sure many understand how it illustrates this country can both pull you down and pull you up, sometimes in the same day. Just went thru a roller coaster of emotions, butI would not exchange it for anything in this world. Shit, I did not post for a full week, that should say something!!!! ;):D ::

It is such a greedy move on their part in trying to nickel and dime us to death thinking that falangs are too lazy or arrogant to care about any money that is not paper.

------------------------------

I though actually that was an accepted practice around the world, at least in San Francisco too, makes good economic and commercial sense, and it is IMO, far from from forcing you to get dimed. Nobody puts a gun to your head, after all. You still can tip as you like, and if you wish to be generous, no need to reach in your pockets, it's all there.

Most often, If I lack the change to tip, I will ask them to break one of the hundreds for me. Guess I am nickel and diming my own self. Staying in Pattaya, is it really what bugs you the most? If so, you are a hell of a lucky bastard!..... :p

It is said that the wisest man never left his village, read a book or saw TV. He just kbew what was in the hearts of his fellow man.

------------------------

sure, but he probably did not own a TV set he'd glue himself to, or read cartoons as the most intellectual activity, or consrtantly check his, uh...her mobile every other 5 minutes!

There are things that bother me.

However I have just spent two weeks back in UK where there are things in UK that bother me to.

for one liscensing laws.

Here and at home.

Here it was to stop prostitution.

Well it doesnt it takes it onto the street.

Another is the immigration laws.

I am only allowed to stay for 60 days. I understand how if I want another 30 days I must pay 500 baht.

i.e. this put more money in the governments pocket.

What I cant understand is why I can pay a foreign airline 1000's of baht to take me outside, pay a hotel and eat in foreign resteraunts to eat etc. When if they let me stay all this wasted money would go to Thai business'

besided it's not like Im claiming Thai social security and bleeding tham dry is it?

Archived