What really buggers you in LOS?

limbo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

Another thing that pisses me of much more is a bar full of stunners with precisely one piglet or old hag. As soon as one walks into the the bar an illuminated sign on piglet lights up saying "LOCKED ON TARGET". There is no way to get rid of her and all other girls in the bar will ignore you as you already ahve a lady.

regards

ALHOLK

The French.

--------------------------------

Goes without saying! :: :: ::

Just another thing that both amuses me and bugs me , and it happened today as I came back on the Jomtien Rd: stopping the traffic for 30 minutes on a 5 miles stretch of highway, allowing about 2 dozen cars filled with high ranking cops, army and other "Dames de Comapnies" to make way for one "close to the people" VVVIP to enjoy a swift ride and a shot of hyper status! Ever heard the word HELICOPTER?

I have never experienced in san francisco (40 years) where they will bring you a bunch a change equating to one dollar rather than bring you the dollar.

I am commenting on the reason why they do it. I seriously doubt they do it to thais. Actually, I going to ask some thais about this and will find out their response........

Economic sense from whose standpoint? Nice positive spin on the practice of greediness!

Correct me if i am wrong, but thais don't generally tip so how can it be a practice around the world? Seems Thai taxi drivers never have small coins or small bills to give as change. Why would this be so if it is an universal pracitce?

I bet i would find in a lot of countries in the developing wolrd where tipping is not part of their local culture............................

cardinalblue

Says ThaiGirlLover:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

What really buggers you in LOS?

Being referred to as 'falang' by my good Thai friend when she is talking to her friends. I tried to educate her that I would rather be referred to by my proper name.

IMO that is very rude behavior if she is a friend. I would force her to remedy the situation out of respect.

Correct me if i am wrong, but thais don't generally tip

-------------------------------------

just from experience, i would say it is quite up to the person. Many thais are actually quite generous with tips for services rendered. I will let you decipher the rules and whereabouts of such generosity if you wish, but it is not a no-no rule, by all means.

You are aware that thais will spend a lot when entertaining themselves and they do love to show around a bit, one of the worse reputation is to be stingy, and when the night is over, they dispense generously for tipping, as it shows tem well.

I give you one example, my GF ordered food at a nearby stall yesterday for a whole table of us in a friend's home. The bill was 280, I was indeed looking for 280 in my wallet, but she went faster than me and gave the food lady 340 bahts out of her pocket.

Maybe unreasonable but typical IME, she treats her friends in a neighborood she is familiar with. You are under the assumption that thais are only greedy with farangs, actually all kind of little scams will be run on thais caught unaware. Or if aware, to avoid confrontation in front of friends, they will not dispute a wronged bill.

Also, think of all the occasions thais are being hit for a donation of some sort or simply feel generous. Especially as concerns their local temple.

By the same token, I experienced how hard and nearly impossible it is for a thai with savings not to be hit by kins and friends for cash and then refuse, even if the demands seem unreasonable to our farang's mind. We are not talking 20 bahts here.

So, I actually think the pressure on thais to spend and donate money that should rather be saved or well spent, is a lot greater than the little scams run on farangs for a few dozen bahts.

We farangs care about propriety and money principles a lot more than them. I easily see farangs verifying a bill, before handing the money, I rarely see a thai do this.

In short, if they have 100 bahts, spend it, 2000, spend it (may include largesse to penniless friends), if you have none, stay home.

Same for the taxi drivers, I agree with you, and this is why I take a lot of change when i go to BKK. They will also do it to thais if they think they can pull it off. Again, unreasonably, but to avoid confrontation, a thai will pay up, or will agree to waste the time to find a shop to break a bill in 20s.

In San Francisco, yes, they do. I was a waiter for a while, and if the bill was 30, and i was being handed 50, you bet the cashier will not give me 20 but smaller denominations.

Maybe you are only seeing your GF tip therefore all Thais tip?? sounds stupid doesnt it, yet thats exactly how it reads.

I rarely see Thais tip, but I see every day Thais take the last baht out of the change dish, ever notice how much money is in the tip jar at the end of the night in places like Oishi Ramen etc..

Never check the bills?? Man I have yet to see a Thai who doesnt check a bill! WHich Thailand are you living in?? ::

Archived