Looking for Thai owned and operated GoGo Bars

NokTang

Don't know how true this is, but I was told Annie, of "Annies" fame owns or owned a lot of the places on Soi Cowboy and leased them out. Was also told she was hooked up with "Cowboy" the Black guy who founded Soi Cowboy way back when. Any info on this? I am a lover of BKK bar history!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny you shlukd mention this, one night recently I was sitting outside a bar at Cowboy (my memory is a bit hazy, there was much alcolhol consumed that night :drunk:) and looking up -- there is an old sign that says something like "Annies Cowboy" or something to that effect. Kinda had me wondering about a connection too.

I'm not in LOS at the moment to go check this out, anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Annie did have a bar there called "Annies cocktail lounge" or something like that. Think she also had a place called "the Red oak" or??? Not sure. Was told she still owned a number of places there, and just leased them out. Believed she started her parlor at the Rah-Jah first, and has stayed there ever since! Someone should really write a book about all this, I mean for the sake of the children , future punters if you will... :)

If you ever start that book, I'll try to hook you up with and old guy that started waht I believe was the 2nd farang owned bar in Patpong in 1971? Heck of a character with lots of great old stories.

On crackdown exemption, Midnite Bar also seemed to benefit. Interesting to hear they both have Thai ownership. Since Patpong was also exempted and is mostly Thai owned, at least the Kings Group bars, there may be a pattern emerging. One flaw with this theory thouh is Bottoms Up, as I recall, had to cover up with the rest of NEP, at least for awhile.

Would love to write a book, or do a documentry on this subject, as I feel there is a lot of information on the history of the punter tradition to be told. We are an often mistaken bunch for sure, and our story should be told truthfully and accurately. Preferably by one of our own. First I'll need a government grant and a pen...

"...If you ever start that book, I'll try to hook you up with and old guy that started waht I believe was the 2nd farang owned bar in Patpong in 1971? Heck of a character with lots of great old stories..."

Is this the guy who owns Madrid? if so, we have some mutual friends/aquaintances! :)

Archived