Free Tasting at CatHouse (Nana Plaza)

CosmicSurfer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says rovineye:

Says CosmicSurfer:

I'm not satisfied with the color... I want that "Golden Brown" look that I got when cooking them in my Wok at home. Tonight, I hope.

I hear Mc Ds have sugar on them to make them brown.

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. Todays batch were a definate 8, maybe a nine.

CS

CS,

Yes, it depends on the type of patato used, but also on the oil / fat used as well.......

First time 3-4 minutes in 160 °C, let them cool, then again 3-4 minutes in 180 °C, make sure you controll the temperature well, that is important.

Definitely no sugar !!!!

Maybe, after peeling and cutting the patatos, dry them a bit in a towel ?

A last tip : normally you need to change the oil / fat daily !

Good luck to get a 10 soon ! :)

Cheers - BB

for all your cooking tips

Says BelgianBoy:

CS,

Yes, it depends on the type of patato used, but also on the oil / fat used as well.......

Good luck to get a 10 soon !
:)

Cheers - BB

BB,

Thanks for the info... already doing all that, but you're right... it maybe the oil. I bought 2 kinds... I need to check which one we are using. One is Palm Oleen and the other is Soybean.

Soybean was the one that I use at home and gave me the perfect color. I'll check tomorrow. I don't remember which can I grabbed when we set up. :dunno:

BTW... Sorry about my lack on communication on the other stuff we were talking about... Things just got out of hand. I'll E' you about it later.

Le'Hit...

CS

Yes, the potato variety is important. Also when the potatoes were picked. If picked at the right time there will be the correct amount of natural sugars in the potato to give it the golden brown you seek. You won't be able to do much about that in LOS so just bear with it.

The oil (and temperature) is critical.

Please do all your customers a favour and avoid the the palm oil. It's cholesterol city. Soybean oil is ok, but there are 2 better ones. For the best golden color and taste, the #1 oil is rendered beef fat. That's the one that got McD in trouble a couple of years ago with all their Hindu and Veggie customers.

This may be a little tricky to find in Thailand and certainly not as cheap as here in the west.

The most reasonable oil in the other choice is a vegetable oil, such as your soybean oil. I think you would have better luck and a longer productivity by using safflower oil or canola (rapeseed) oil.

Once you go into commercial production, I would recommend using 2 deep fryers. One for blanching and one for finishing. As you will need to prepare 100s of pounds a day (hopefully) you need to hold your raw cut potatoes ahead. we use large plastic garbage bins kept in the walkin cooler, although 5 gal pails in the fridge will work. Soaking the raw product overnight will also remove the excess starch and should help the finished product. If you need to hold them longer that 24hrs you'll need to add an anti-oxydent to avoid the potatoes blackening. Your potatoes MUST be dried thoroughly before blanching. Water is the destroyer of deep fry oil, and the blanching process always gets some out of the product even when following the above rules. That's why we use 2 units.

Of course you will NEVER use your fryers for frozen products (water) or meats (oil contamination and flavor.)(Yes that means your wings as well) You will filter and strain your oil EVERY night and change it BEFORE it starts to break down. (That's the reason for the finish fryer, it will last twice as long as the blancher)

I look forward to trying your product on my next trip. Best of luck. :grinyes: The trick is to get a 10....everyday.

Archived