A simple plea re language

gobbledonk

NorFly,

I cant speak Thai, and I would be very concerned that my pronunciation and tone were completely wrong - having to clarify the exact meaning of certain terms with sign language would be particularly embarrassing to both parties in this case.

I have never had a problem asking an English-speaking Thai woman if she was a 'working girl'. Eager nods are the only response I have ever encountered, although I sincerely doubt that a negative response would be accompanied by a knee to the groin, as it may well be in Oz.

I believe that they understand completely what the term means, and I dont know how appropriate 'bargirl' is to freelancers. Just my 10 bahts worth.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you have touched on a subject which really pisses me off.

i really get angry when people call them offensive names.

yes,we know what they are and do,but in the end they are women.

i treat all women as ladies,no matter their profession,respect them.

if they did'nt do what they do,then we would have missed out on a lot of fun.

i once had a massive argument with my special girl.

in her bar and in front of all her friends and collegues,i called her a whore.

she burst into tears and ran off,her best friend procedded to slap my face and really have a go at me.

i learnt a lesson.

I wholhartdely agree with Artiew

I would not call anyone a derogatory (sp) based on their profession.

However I thionk were going a bit over thee top trying to find labels.

What the hell i swrong with bg?

I also have no problem calling a woman a whore or whatever if her actions deserved.

And I dont mean working in a bar deserves but sometimes they do. i.e. rip offs etc

Not responding to Greg, just hit his reply. Basically I think the intent is/was to say that using words like whore, slut or other derogatory words to generically refer to "Working Ladies," is rude, and smacks of the lowest common denominator. Perhapes a matter of context? Not sure. Certainly if their actions require such adjectives, then o.k. but as a generel term, I feel it is rude and inappropriate.

I think the only aceptable non-sexist term than can be used is "Bar person". I also wish to put foward that we also ban the use of the following words:

Sex tourist

Punter

Ex-bargirl

Whore monger

Whore chaser

Whorist

Pervert

Degenerate

Bar finer

Bar Turd

Ugly bargirl

Man

Woman

Girl

Boy

Soi dog

ok I'll chip in with a few pennies then as I just discovered a new UK i-net mag for women. their main goal is to get the word 'cliterati' in the oxford dictionary because women like sex too!

and they actually state that the word slut is positive :eek:

well I'm not a native speaker, so none of those words have ever been much offensive to me, but here goes:

"After a year, people are beginning to get what Cliterati is all about. We've now got a somewhat ambitious aspiration. We want to get the word Cliterati into the Oxford English Dictionary as a positive alternative to the word 'slut'. Now 'slut' can be used as a compliment - 'I love that you're such a filthy slut' for example. But it's still tainted by negative connotations. Cliterati on the other hand, still has a chance to mean something positive."

check the site out for yourself(I'm sure men are allowed) cliterati.co.uk

Archived