LEAVE A TIP AND DON'T BE A CHEAP P****!!!

JJsushi

Who who gets the tip in most Thai restaurants where everytime someone comes to the table (take an order, drop food off, give you the bill) it's a DIFFERENT person. I usually do not like to tip in those cases....I just get the feeling that the LAST

person (the one bringing the bill) will get the tip. And in almost every thai restaurant (and i use that term loosely...covers bar-restaurant combos) that's how it is....a different service person every time. I like to tip a particular

person, but not a whole group (and not really knowing who gets it). p.s. Yeah, i know i can "put a tip in one persons' hand" but that's not always the way the situation works.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn,

I couldn't get past the fact that 2 beers was 310 baht!

Are the beers up to 155 each now in Long Gun???

This is an obvious trick to increase the amount of tip as most people won't want 4 lb of 5 baht coins in their pocket at the end of the night (you could fall into a klang and drown!).

So the ploy is take all of the money off the tray immediately (to stop the pick and dash routine), perhaps just drop back a single 5 baht coin. Now if this becomes the norm the Thai brain will think, must increase tip, no give 5 baht. You will get 10 baht coins in your change. The weight is now reduced and you might make it to the bank and not drown.

Idea 2, go to the bank (the money one), get some rolls of 5 baht coins, buy a shoulder bag and load it up. Pay all of your bar tabs in rolls of 5 baht coins.

Idea 3. Save those tiny 5 satang coins you get from the 7-11. These can be used as a 'tip' which expresses your annoyance. (Actually I have had a bit of a laugh giving these out in joking mode!)

And perhaps another subject for a thread. I hate paying for 1 or 2 drinks with a 1000 baht note. I have, on numerous occassions, been made to wait rather a long time for my change. Perhaps I look severely drunk at the time, but I have even had to 'ask' where is change? Are they really waiting to see if I absent -mindedly stroll out without it?

:cussing:

And think, if you are being manipulated into leaving more tip than you normally would - you are a schmuck!

Says june11:

Seriously, I think what I may do from now on, when they return all these little coins, is to say NO LIKE, point at them, and take them all (somehow letting them now they I WOULD HAVE tipped them if they hadn't left all those annyoing coins).

Let's be sensible about this people being pissed off about the number of coins being returned to them in a "pre-packaged" tip. Do you really think it is the service girl who counts out the money and determines what to return to you? Bars have cashiers who give the change. Who do you think instructs the cashiers how to return the change? More than likely it is the managers or owners who mandate manoey handling policy to cashiers and service girls. After all they are the ultimate handlers of money matters.

So before you decide to get pissed off and so irate to the point that you irrationally "punish" the service girl who gives you your change back think about where she gets her "orders". You should complain directly to the bar owner/ manager instead of taking it out on the service girl. I doubt many of you have the balls to do that.

I more or less agree with this, in my case anyway it's not really my intention to deny a tip. Of course, if the girl gets haughty and tries to yank away the tray or whatever, that's different, because then she has become part of the problem instead of just someone carrying out the policies of management.

One other thing: lately I have noticed more and more that bills come back padded by 10 or 20 baht. Happens too often to be coincidence and they're often just punch the numbers on a calculator back there anyway. Controlling the loose coins on the tray that come back in change can counteract this nickle-and-diming to some degree.

Says KhMarried:

Of course, if the girl gets haughty and tries to yank away the tray or whatever, that's different, because then she has become part of the problem instead of just someone carrying out the policies of management.

That is just plain rudeness and unacceptable. The same as a girl who does not wai when you give them a tip or wai when you buy them a drink.

I do tip according to the service. But here is something you might try. When I went to cambodia, I was informed that I could expect to find lots of situations where there would be a need to tip or donate a small amount. Before I crossed the boarder I went to a bank and bought a little sack of 100, 1 baht coins. Each day I would grab some and put them in my pocket. These where great for giving to kids, and if needed I could drop several at a time. Now you might want to consder doing this with out of line staff at gogo,s. imagine leaving a 3 baht tip. In the US the way to indicate you a unhappy with the service is to leave one penny. Maybe this kind of process would get them back in line. Or then again it might get you 86'd LOL

Says june11:

Just wanted to commend torneyboy for his excellent reply.

OOPS.

A Gremlin ate my reply :o

I was saying that when i was in the bars in October i had no trouble with the tip.

My wife picked up the dish took all monie and gave the girl something and said to me ""enough for her lets go to the next bar"" :grinyes:

Says jjsushi:

So before you decide to get pissed off and so irate to the point that you irrationally "punish" the service girl who gives you your change back think about where she gets her "orders". You should complain directly to the bar owner/ manager instead of taking it out on the service girl. I doubt many of you have the balls to do that.

Yeah, okay, but I really hadn't the time or patience to be bothered with that. Instead, I rather presumed that if the service girl (whom I had "irrationally punished" simply by demanding the return of my rightful change which she had brazenly stolen) had either brains or initiative then she might, one day far away maybe, eventually petition the owner (if this practise was indeed a directive from the owner: if not then she ought to adjust her own attitude) and suggest/realise that this clumsy and predictable off-loading tons of 5 baht coins on punters in order to "instruct" them as to what size of tip they must leave was perhaps counter-productive in many cases?

Just a thought. :angel:

Oh, and I didn't get "pissed off or so irate". In truth, the steam coming out of my ears was a weary steam of disappointment and resignation :doah:.

jack ::

[color:"green"] Bars have cashiers who give the change. Who do you think instructs the cashiers how to return the change? [/color]

The dek servers! The owner, who fines the girls for every little thing, does not give a sh*t how much you tip. You really lost it on this one JJ. :drunk:

Archived