LEAVE A TIP AND DON'T BE A CHEAP P****!!!

JJsushi

Says whosyourdaddy:

Not really.... I am against labour unions also, but that is a different story. I beleive the service industry needs a major overhaul in thailand. There are way too many people just hanging around doing nothing. A employee at central will only help you if you walk into their zone and will just stand there looking at you if you dont walk near them. I was buying a new fridge the last year and asked a guy for help and the guy refused since he did not work with LG fridges only with the ones beside it. There are so many service staff that nobody takes any responsibility, they dont learn what they need to in order to do the job properly and really dont work at all most of the time. Just my view on things!

Seems we are going off on a tangent here. I will go along with you. I actually like the number of service personnell available in thailand. I detest it when i am in a department store in the States nad I can't find one friggin sales person in a department to help me with a purchase. I hate it when I have to stand on a checkout line that has 25 customers while their are 10 unmanned registers because the management decides that for the sake of profitability all they need is one person to service 25 customers. I also hate calling a customer service line and having to push button my way through a slew of voice menus to be able to talk to a live person; only to be placed on hold and the cost to me the customer is 50min total time to answer a question that should take 2min.

The problem I find with Thai service is not that the staff are horrible workers but rather the mangement does not take the time to properly invest in and train the staff to meet customer needs.

Does it take any more energy carring a 110B shot of whisky over a 60B shot of whisky.. If you want a 60 B shot there are lots of places you can go. The owner as made the business (infrastructure, aircon, name etc) so he can charge 110B why should the staff be entitled to more. If the staff as added qualities, ie better english, special skills, yes they should get more. But if they are just another waiter than regardless of where you work why should they get paid more.

Why do you pay 5 dollars for a bottle of water from a hotel and 1 dollar from a grocery store? Same bottle of water right?

Why is a cashier in a hotel compensated more than a cashier at a grocery store? They both calculate receipts and change money right? Why is the standard wage of an English teacher more in one language school and less at another? Just another English teacher right?

Did the thought ever cross your mind that working in certain venues, and industries change the economics of wages? A service person in a family restaurant does not have to dea with the same clientele as a service person in Hollywood Strip. The risks and job description are not the same. The service person in Hollywood has to deal with obnoxious customers, drunk customers, customers who play hide the chit, customers who may cop a feel, customers who puke their guts out or pass out, criminal elements in the Thai nightlife, lost wages if a bar is shut down, dishonest management, helping dancers secure Johns, know the word pussy and fuck in 12 different languages, etc. Was that the list of special skills you were referring too?

Oh well. If I tried to leave anymore, my wife would scoop it up and just leave the coins.

Never had a woman reverse my tip paying. I control the money so it is just different in your household

Must be nice.. Until I save my money to be called very rich, I will keep my tips in my bank account

I hope you never have to work in an industry where tips are considered part of compensation. I am sure if you do have to at some point you will change your thinking.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davegas said.

'This has been a great thread. Lots of strong feelings about it. You would think we where taliking about life and death. For me it is very simple. If for a few baht I can make someones day, great! If a dollar here or there can make a differnce, what a great deal. For me it is not about the money so much as the value. And like most things in LOS even tipping is a good value. I think many guys get so into being cheap that they lose sight of why they are here. There seem to be some that would rather save 20 baht than lighten up and spread some cheer. for me money is like manure, it does no good unless you spread it around. I am not a high roller or wasteful, but I have yet to recieve a negative response to just a little bit of generosity'.

well said and my thoughts.

does it hurt to give a girl 20bt in her hand when you leave?.

by the time it has taken me to sign my signature,i have earnt more.

like DG i am not a high roller and by no means earn a huge salary and i have to work long and hard to afford my trips to LOS.

but giving a girl the price of a plate of food is not a great deal in my opinion.

and i come from a country where tipping is unknown among the masses.

JJSushi,

Most barowners are greedy pricks for sure. The base salary in most bars is a joke. You could say most barowners get their staff virtually for free and it is sad that they can get away with it. What I don't see is that I as a customer have to make up for greed of some cheap-ass barowner.

I don't understand why you get so worked up about tipping. I mean, how many service girls do you know at NP, SC and PP that do not go with customers? They do not rely on tips to get their income, but on their looks and the quality of their performance in the sack. Whether we tip an extra 20 baht or not is hardly of any consequence at all.

For me, service girls will get a decent tip as long as they are nice and courteous. I do not even care if they fuck up my order, as long as they do it with a smile. But when their attitude sucks, so will the tip!

Cheers,

soongmak

Whether we tip an extra 20 baht or not is hardly of any consequence at all.

--------------------------------

I am not so sure, but I will keep to my Pattaya expertise, and there, There are definitely girls who do not like to string customers one after the other or even have the opportunity to do so constantly, because of their looks, their vibes, whatever, and indeed a few dozen bahts extra tip every day added to their meager monthly bar income, can inflate it and help them. There are quite a few girls who fit that description.

The last time I was in Pattaya I somehow ended up at the Living Dolls go go bar at least once a night. Anyway, there was a cute waitress that was always nice to me. One night I must have left her a 300 Baht tip, or so she told me the next night (I was too drunk to remember). Anyway, with all the good service, I felt it was well worth it. She acted like it was a big deal to her. To me? No big deal. I always got excellent service after that.

Rex ;)

Back to a question someone else had earlier: I also wonder

who gets the tip in most Thai restaurants where everytime

someone comes to the table (take an order, drop food off,

give you the bill) it's a DIFFERENT person. I usually do not like to tip in those cases....I just get the feeling that the LAST

person (the one bringing the bill) will get the tip. And in almost every thai restaurant (and i use that term loosely...covers bar-restaurant combos) that's how it is....a different service person every time. I like to tip a particular

person, but not a whole group (and not really knowing who gets it). p.s. Yeah, i know i can "put a tip in one persons' hand" but that's not always the way the situation works.

Guest lazyphil

<<Who tips the guys and girls who labour 12 hours a day on construction sites for 160 baht?>>

Not relevent to jjsushis post.

"... You could say most barowners get their staff virtually for free and it is sad that they can get away with it. What I don't see is that I as a customer have to make up for greed of some cheap-ass barowner...."

Well the same is true in the USA. Restaurants and bars are allowed to pay below the minimum wages because the people get tips. Only a portion of the bills is reported as taxable income, the rest is in their pocket tax free! Not uncommon for wait staff or bartenders to make $300usd a night in the better places. Some of these jobs are under the table to begin with, thus no taxes are paid. So really, the owner is getting a lot of his staff for free, or near free!

Archived