LEAVE A TIP AND DON'T BE A CHEAP P****!!!

JJsushi

Says jp1:

I think that Americans and possibly Japanese can unwittingly cause problems with tipping as they tend to tip abroad as they would at home. But an expected 20% tip now? Phew, way too much!

Thaipan,

Japanese tip very generously abroad, but contrary to America there is absolutely no tipping in Japan. Tipping is considered an insult in this country. ::

Ah I understand now, thanks for pointing that out jp1.

Thaipan

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"A glass breaks they get docked; a customer skips on the bill they get docked; they show up late they get docked; they miss a day they get docked(more on weekends); they scew up a drink order or the customer screws it up they get docked'

Dock'em!

Still can't figure out what went so wrong with civilization so it had to abolish slavery ::

Says jp1:

I think that Americans and possibly Japanese can unwittingly cause problems with tipping as they tend to tip abroad as they would at home. But an expected 20% tip now? Phew, way too much!

Thaipan,

Japanese tip very generously abroad, but contrary to America there is absolutely no tipping in Japan. Tipping is considered an insult in this country. ::

Hi Japan is on my list to visit this year..

Please explain a little more this will help not only me but i can inform my clients as well.

If i leave or offer a tip in restaurant or another service style establishment what will they say or not say i guess and what happens???

Any info thanks if not for this thread please PM thanks in advance :bow:

Says SOONGMAK:

I don't understand why you get so worked up about tipping. I mean, how many service girls do you know at NP, SC and PP that do not go with customers?

We all need to rant about something don't we?

I get worked up because I have seen too many pricks leaving a 10bt tip for a couple thousand baht tab. Then they try to justify their cheapness with the bullshit argument that they only tip for exceptional service (What the frick do they expect Ritz Carlton service? Do they forget they are in an establishment of prostitution?)

As far as girls that don't go with customers there are several in every bar that don't because customers have no desire to barfine them because of their looks, age, etc or the simply don't sell their bodies.

I'm with JJ on this one. I always leave something, usually 15 - 20 %

As a Bartender in NYC I worked Banquet after Banquet, corporate xmas parties etc. in the busy month between Thanksgiving to xmas. Because my name fell alphabetically 20 or so parties were rung under my name/number. These parties were sometimes billed at over $100,000.00 USD. It was all rung under may name.

Three years later the restaurant was audited, as a result all of the waitstaff was audited. I had to hire a lawyer to explain that I DID not make over $160,000.00 USD in tips in the month of december.

Waiters in the US are taxed on 100% of their credit card tips and 12% of their cash sales.

I tip because i have been on the other side and know that sometimes it's a pain in the ass to 'SERVE' people, especially drunkards. Horney drunkards at that.

Says bkkvoid:

Try paying for your beers with a handful of 10 baht coins and see what kind of reaction you get. Bet it would be a big issue then.

Actually, most bars are looking for 10B coins and would probably welcome checks paid in coin. They go through lots of coins each night because of the annoying habit of giving so many coins with the change. :banghead::doah:

"<<Who tips the guys and girls who labour 12 hours a day on construction sites for 160 baht?>>

Not relevent to jjsushis post."

It is very relevant. His point is that the whole tipping system is completely illogical. Everyone is justifying tipping because the servers are receiving low wages. Everyone in Thailand is receiving low wages because of the excess supply of labor. Why do employees of one particular industry deserve tips whereas employees of another industry do not? We do not tip the cashier at the supermarket, but they often provide a lot more service than a waiter does? There should be no tipping for anything. The only reason that tipping is so prevelant in the USA is so the employers can avoid paying Social Security taxes and so they can have an easier time hiding their cash income. Here in the US I try to frequent restaurants that are self-service. Usually the waitstaff at most restaurants are terrible.

Well said Jaybloom.

There now seems to be multiple threads on the same subject running (polls). Anyhow, as I said there, I tip for good service or service with a smile in Thailand but nothing outrageous (50-300 baht depending on the occassion.) I NEVER tip anyone who hussles for tips.

Outside of Thailand I follow cultural rules but am always baffled when I'm in the U.S. as to why I have to tip a guy 15-20% for doing the strenuous job of lifting a bottle of beer from the fridge, opening it and handing it to me. If patrons have to pay for bar staff, why not just include 15% onto the price and round it off? Don't really want to think what's 15% of $3.87 when ordering a beer.

When at restaurants why do you only have to tip the waiter and not the chef? The owner can pay the chef a full wage but not the floor staff? The floor staff work harder than the chefs and have greater skills?

I've conceded that the U.S. will never change but its a pain in the ass dealing with out of work "actors" with attitude who then expect a tip!

"...I've conceded that the U.S. will never change but its a pain in the ass dealing with out of work "actors" with attitude who then expect a tip! ..."

Funny, whenever someone tells me they are an actor, I ask "bartender or wait staff..." :) They are seldom amused!

Archived