Question about shrimp/prawns

New Petchburi Pete

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says khunsanuk:

Hi,

"But, I've had live prawn 'salad' here in LOS;"

The dish is called 'Kung Ten' (dancing shrimp) I believe, and the shrimp are dead. The acids in the sauce make their muscles contract which makes them jump.

Sanuk!

Here in the States every Thai restaurant I go to that is patronized by Thais the dish is with dead, raw and cleaned shrimp. The restaurants patronized by farang the dish is with slightly cooked and cleaned shrimp.

On a different topic: Sometimes when i order tom yum goong the shrimp is totally unpeeled, which i hate. Don't even know how to eat it, since it's buried in soup and don't feel like trying to peel it at that point. That seems to happen more often in the food courts (cheap), and i usually reject it and say, no thanks . In better places, the shrimp is peeled and usually with the head taken off. Does anyone here actually like TYG with unpeeled shrimp?, and if not, what would you do?

...allow me to help with this one. In Thailand, and indeed most of asia, the prawn comes *with* the head on for one simple reason. Thats the tastiest bit of the prawn. A Thai who got his Tom Yang Gung minus the heads would be most upset.

Now, with my upbringing, I don't particularly agree with this sentiment, so I simply leave them. Its pretty damn easy to tackle a prawn with a spoon and fork, and probably something you should try. Cut the head off at the "joint", insert fork down carapace and brace with spoon. Voila! peeled prawn.However, in most casual circumstances the easiest thing to do is simply pick it up in your fingers and peel away (some asian prefer the "chew and spit" method - you may want to give this method a miss).

..of course, if you were brave, you *could* try the head - it really is supposed to be very tasty!

-j-

In addition to some people like to sucking the eyeballs out of the head :)

I was very curious about this myself. In the US, the shrimp is shelled. Here I can't remember the last time I've seen totally unshelled shrimp. Every shrimp atleast has the tail in every dish I've been served here (leastwise that I can remember).

Given the cheap cost of labor, I thought this was crazy. I was fortunate to ask someone whose family is prominent in the seafood industry here and he said it's indications of freshness.

The first thing to go is the head. The next thing to go is the tail. An asian wouldn't eat a shrimp whose tail has gone bad, thus you at the very least, get the tail.

<<burp>>

Archived