Question about shrimp/prawns

New Petchburi Pete

Says torneyboy:

Long blue claws...arn''t they Scampi?

and different again from prawns...longer in body.

May be wrong however.

No, definitely fresh water prawns, scampi are like small spiny lobsters and generally come from the bottom of the deep blue sea, also delicious. Another that I've seen in the markets is the mantis shrimp, they have bunched up front claws and can crack the claws so violently when live that if they're in a glass tank they'll crack the glass.

KS, the dancing shrimp are straight from the fish tank and into the dish. In another post long ago I related how I got the worst case of shits I've ever had from one such meal.

Cheers

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a couple of your favourite drinks, and whilst gazing into the dreamy eyes of the bar girl you just met and fell in love with, I'm sure you would not be able ot resist a swipe through the dish with a finely crafted ball of sticky rice ... perhaps wirh a leaf of basil and a sip of Jack or Jameson ... I'm sure you'd be able to 'pass the test.' :grinyes:

? Sick,

No, that's nothing. Once in the village, we stopped the motorbike at a road side vendor. While I was looking at some of the food items for sale, I noticed a couple of bags were moving. I asked the Mrs. about this, and she handed me one of the bags ... it had about forty, tiny, live toads ... well, one of em was bigger than the rest! ... when she asked me if I wanted to try one live, I politely declined. Now, if it was on "Fear Factor" or something like that ...

Pete,

As a fellow Baystater I hate to correct you but scampi is the Italian word for a variety of shrimp (or something similar to shrimp). It has come to mean shrimp sauted in garlis and either olive oil or butter in the US.

scampi

Definition: [sKAM-pee] 1. The Italian name for the tail portion of any of several varieties of lobsterettes, the most well known being the Dublin Bay prawn. Scampo is the singular form of the word. 2. On U.S. restaurant menus, the term is often used to describe large shrimp that are split, brushed with garlic oil or butter and broiled.

Archived