Question about shrimp/prawns

New Petchburi Pete

I originate from New England. In February there are (or at least there used to be) small, but tasty shrimp that are taken from the Gulf of Maine. What is sold in the seafood markets throughout the year are shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico, larger ones from the Indian Ocean, and for years now, shrimp are imported from South America, where they are farmed (Chili). I believe all the shrimp sold in New England come from salt water.

In the food stores in Bangkok, there are countless varieties, most of which I believe (not entirely sure) are caught/farmed in Thailand. I was surprised when someone informed me that some of the varieties are from fresh water. Are the ones that are grown in fresh water different species? Or are they capable of living in both fresh and salt water, like salmon and herring (anadromous ... not sure of spelling)? Also, which are the best tasting ones?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A shrimp is a small prawn and a prawn is a large shrimp.

Most are farmed and or caught in salt or brackish water, and to my taste are the superior in flavour.

There are fresh water ones, usually for sale as live, with large long blue claws. These are in my opinion nice but not as flavoursome.

Cheers

"... live, with large long blue claws."

Yes, I've seen them and eaten them. They're pretty good barbequed. There's a nice place near us off Thonglo, sub soi 10 (I think) ... runs over to Ekamai, that has a large, swimming pool size tank where you can fish for them; and, they'll cook them any way you want them. The sauces are very good.

The restaurant is definitely very affordable by Western standards. ... mostlty Thai, but definitely Farang friendly. It's located to the left, more or less at the end of a short road, sort of behind a small grouping of small, but nice, upscale bars. If one spoke Thai and presented himself well, this is definitely an area (the bars, not the restaurant) where one might expect to encounter some of these so-called "good, Thai girls." I like 'em all! There's parking, good food, and the "eye candy" on NPP's scale is 9-10!

Hey, it's 7:30 on saturday night ... I'm taking the Mrs. out ... she likes theses crustaceans as much as I do!

I think the best 'shrimp' come from salt or brackish water.

Thailand is the worlds number one producer of farm raised shrimp or prawns. Ecuador is second. The saltwater species are Pennaeus Monodon ,Black Tiger Prawns, White Shrimp P. Vannamei are also becoming popular. Bothe of these can thrive in brackish conditions. The freshwater specie is Marcrobrachium Rosenbergi and very popular with the Thais. They are the ones with the large blue claws.

There are very few wild shrimp sold in Thailand but these are usually native white shrimp. They are also a number of other crutaceans that are sold in the markets that I don't know the names of. I personally cannot tell much difference in the taste especially in Thai cooking.

LL

Says coss:

A shrimp is a small prawn and a prawn is a large shrimp.

Most are farmed and or caught in salt or brackish water, and to my taste are the superior in flavour.

There are fresh water ones, usually for sale as live, with large long blue claws. These are in my opinion nice but not as flavoursome.

Cheers

Long blue claws...arn''t they Scampi?

and different again from prawns...longer in body.

May be wrong however.

Archived