What are your accomodations and what do you pay

I have posted a need for help finding a new decent place to live.There have been no replies,so I wonder what kind of place do you live in and what do you pay for rent?

I live in a 2br/2ba condo on Sumkumvit 36.Thong Lor BTS.It is 5 yrs old and most of the people own their own places.It is very very clean and well maintained.Plenty of parking with non-sleeping security guards on both parking levels.Very quiet and secure.15 storys high with 3 elevators.Great well kept pool area and a sufficient weight room with seperate large gender rest rooms containing showers and suanas.Staff is very courteous and helpful.Management treats you as a customer,not like they are your superior.I pay 25,000B with 3000-5000 a month in utilities including 3 A/C's,large washing machine and large clothes dryer.

I hate to move,but I think I must to avoid problems with wife's ex involving the 11 yr. old daughter.I spent 5 hrs. today, around 3 BTS stations[s/T,Ari and Sanam Pao],looking at condosfrom 5000B to 42,000 baht,none which serve our needs.Most were pure crap with the exception of the 42000 one which is to high for our budget.Did see one 2br/2ba at Sanam Pao that was listed at 35,000,but offered at 28,000 ,that was decent but it still did not match what we have now over all.

Best Regards,Stan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i do not know, how many sqf/sqm your current apartment and what standard it has and how new it is. if it is 150 sqm+, high standard and rather new, you have quite a bargain, as apartments between Thonglor and Asoke are usually rather high priced in comparison to other areas in Bangkok. as further up you go on Sukhumvit from Thonglor, as cheaper the prices get.

you can find several web pages quoted in this section with huge loads of apartments. why don't you make a preselection according to your price range and have a look at those.

Actually, I think it's a really cool thread and it's unfortunate that no one really has posted. I really would like to know what it's really like out there.

I expect a number of people are staying in some really small places and a few in some really nice ones.

Previously I was in a 45sq m. studio or some such at Boss Tower. Rama IV. Was paying something like 16-18k all in (though I found out someone is paying 12K (serviced + utilities) with a 1yr contract (though I'm not sure how trustworth the info is). Has a small but lap doable swimming pool. Laundry in the bulding is expensive at 20 baht / piece. Never any trouble with maids or staff.

<<burp>>

Hi!

Why don't you look into renting a house? Ok, there won't be a pool and a gym around but -- with some scouting -- I'm sure you will find a better deal than most serviced apartments in the Farang Ghetto Zone.

Regarding Boss Tower. I've stayed there myself. Although, it's considerably cheaper than most serv. apartments in the area it's still not a very good value-for-money-place. -- It has a direct phone line though (this one for BB).

About the direct phone line at Boss... Yah, I'm a bit pieved at that. The leases say no, but I've subsequently found out you can get one. I lived with 28.8 (because of the building's PBX) for a year and half!!!!

Gahhhh.

Yes, bang for buck it's not great, but if you sign a 1-year I understand you could do alright.

Just have to be happy with a motorcycle to the skytrain (which I'm just fine with :) )

<<burp>>

Stan is not looking for a room; he is looking for something like a 2br/2ba apartment; therefore at least 3 rooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen etc. at least 80 sqm if rooms are small but more likely 100 sqm up.

as mentioned earlier he should specify his needs a bit more in details

>with some scouting -- I'm sure you will find a better deal than most serviced apartments in the Farang Ghetto Zone

I have a small (what I would call "terrace") house. Two bedrooms, two reasonable size downstairs rooms (living and dining), kitchen, two bathrooms (well, shower roms +toilet),, front and back "areas" (not gardens as they are concreted!). Huge jackfruit tree in the front though..furnished, three aircons, land line telephne. No rent increase for the past three years (and the deal is that there will not be one in the future, probably cause I am one of the tenants for this landlord who pays the rent every month on time!!!!)

Down side? Its about 40Km from Sukhamvit Road, across the river.

Plus side: 7,500 month, not including utilities (no surcharges though, pay direct to companies).

Obvioulsy if you are tied to a place of work, its harder, but if you are not, then there are some *really* good deals out there...

-j-

Sometimes I do consider moving to an outside Bangkok area.

I see nice surroundings (green) from the railway track passed Bang Sue towards Chumpon. Just don't know how difficult it is to find something decent there.

I rent a huge 6 bedroom/7 bahtroom house (5 years old) for the ridiculous amount of 5k baht/month plus direct charges for water/elec 400m from the beach here.

Archived