3,500 Baht/month ?

Hi 127,

>>>>>>Just like you, I am miffed by the righteousness and outrage shown by certain farangs who never walked in the shoes of these low-payed people.<<<<<

I though long and hard whether to post this, mainly because I thought it might take on 20 different directions, and end in closure, in very short order.

But I thought it really important for us living in the west, as occational tourists, to understand the reality of the place we visit. I've been coming for a while now, although for only short visits. This girls situation really shocked me, and has given me a different prespective. Kind of rocked me out of my dream world, and made hundreds (thousands?) of comments from Thai girls over the years, ring a little different in my ear.

I hope we can keep this on topic, and create a better understanding of the reality there, for us non-expats. I think many of us are just not aware of the true reality of life in LOS, for many of the girls we enjoy, and even more so, for the ones we do not.

HT

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi LaoHuLi,

:: Khao jai. I could go into it, but want to keep thread on a non-relationship basis concerning me and a particular girl, and keep in a general overview of the situation facing non-educated Thai's.

BTW....My written Thai has not improved. Largely because it is NON-EXISTANT! :grinyes: But my vocabulary is getting serious, as is my speaking ability. Very attributable from you, and others, in "language" :bow::bow::bow::applause:

HT

Better not mention your company's name.

The minimum wage is set for a maximum of 48 hours per week. Your factory staff working 6/12 do 72 and should be paid overtime for the balance of 24 hours a week.

Multies are usually quite sensitive. Creates bad image back home etc., and tend to follow the laws.

Small Thai businesses often do not. But I do doubt the story.

If this is a girl, computer and english literate, she can do much better than 3.5 K a month.

Perhaps its a child, trying to come over as an adult on interet, and playing games.

Could also be a young girl fomr upcountry with Mor3 education, working as a maid with family in Bangkok (who happen to run an internet shop, or at least have a computer.

Or perhaps a student form upcountry, now studying in Bangkok, living with family, getting a monthly allowance.

But a normal working girl, computer literate and able to communicate in English, and working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week for only 3.5K. Sorry I don't believe that.

It does remind me some about a group of people that (before internet times), placed adds in foreign newspapers. Started corresponding with western males. Never really asking for any money, but always writing about long hours and little pay.

In the end several western men pitied them and offered to help financially. Amonut varied from a few 1000 Baht to ten of thousand.

Correpondence topped after the first amount was received.

1000's of western men fell for this over a period of many years. Now with interent I'm sure there are some playing this game.

Hell, I could come over as such a poor little girl on internet, no problem.

I can believe her story as these type of working conditions with low salary of 3,500 or 4,000 baht and none or not many days off are very common in LOS, as she lives in the shop that maybe could explain the long hours on the internet as what else has she to do with her time.

Hi orandanodes,

>>>>>>>>Hell, I could come over as such a poor little girl on internet, no problem.<<<<<<<<<

Yea.....my reaction at first, also. But we are talking webcam here. I can see her move every time, so not a picture on the wall. :)

I should note that her English is quite poor, as is her spelling. I've chatted with 100's of Thai girls, and she is at the very bottom of proficiency. I met her on BKK chat, but says she never do before, only because client was on, and she had to help. (I know...I know... :: )

I'm not stupid about scams, so would not have posted if I thought was not real.

I've also talked to her most nights briefly by phone. It's mostly in my broken Thai, as she has hard time. But I do understand your skeptizim. :)

HT

Over the months the question has often arisen." Why do b/gs do this?" or "Why can't they understand?"

From my point it is all very simple. WE, and that we includes virtually everyone on the board or who visits LOS, are they ones who don't understand, BECAUSE we have never really known day to day, poverty.

We do not know what it is like to be truly poor. To literally not now where or how we will eat tomorrow, or sleep tonight. We accept that this is some sort of safety net for all, but its just not true !

We speak of integrity, honor and raising ourselves up. They speak of a dry place to sleep (knew a girl working a GoGo who took 4 months to get a bed because she couldn't afford it.) Food for baby and Mama at home (many girls here live on a 25 baht bowl of noodles a day). Money for younger brother to go to school, screw the dead buffalo, but the old motocycle that goes to town everyday still needs gas and repairs. Helmuts, insurance and that other stuff are luxuries. Thank Budha that Papa does not drink.

Some damn farang spilled a drink on you last night, and it won't come out. You've tried washing it in the sink 3 times at the room you share with 3 other girls, but to no avail. Never used a washing machine, but the guy at the Internet shop helps you write to some customers you like. Maybe one will visit soon and you can do your laundry at his hotel. Maybe he will even buy you a new blouse. But then he will leave again, and you will be back to working 28-30 days a month, trying to smile 10-12 hours a day and hoping you don't get sick like your friend did. Meanwhile everyone in the bar swills back your days wages every 20 minutes. But you got to hurry, because if you are late, Mamasan fine you 2 baht a minute, and you don't want to lose you job. It's the best one you have ever had, sometimes you almost like it.

Gentlemen, by and large we have no idea of their lives. And we should be thankful we never have to. Most wouldn't survive.

Now in my books, these are the women with real 'integrity'.

:applause:

Guest lazyphil

<<I should note that her English is quite poor, as is her spelling>>

Has she considered teaching English as a foreign language in BKK? :grinyes:

Says HIGH THAIED:

I was addressing the integrity of the girls hauling concrete in the parking lot of Nana Hotel

Dang, they haven't finished that new pool yet? They've been working on it for over a year! Money would have been better spent refurbishing all the rooms....but anyhow.....

Sorry for the hijack! :cover: I just can't belive it's taking this long... (unless it's a different construction project.)

-=/NN

Says HIGH THAIED:

Meanwhile everyone in the bar swills back your days wages every 20 minutes. But you got to hurry, because if you are late, Mamasan fine you 2 baht a minute, and you don't want to lose you job. It's the best one you have ever had, sometimes you almost like it.

Now that's a reality check :(

Archived