3,500 Baht/month ?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HT,

Not a single doubt from this household that this girl could be telling the truth.According to my wife,it is very common for a young Issan girl to be working a job that allows her to sent 2,000B home each month.That is probably the motivation behind her working there.

She says she is happy.At this stage of her life she is accomplishing her "goal" probably doing something she really enjoys.Independant,lots of free time on the computer,relatively easy work and the long hours are probably not relevant.Her friends are probably developed from the pool of customers.Sleeping on the premises is a big plus.On the floor is probaly where she has slept her whole life.

My wife worked construction 100B a day and had to pay 500b for a place to sleep.Worked as a maid,11 hrs aday,no holidays and paid 1400B for her room.Worked in 2 big resturants,2000B per mo.,approx200B per day in tips 14 hr. days,no holidays still paying 1400B for a room.Except for the construction,she worked each of these jobs 1 1/2 to 2 yrs each only leaving one job for the other because she hoped that she could make more money.In all these jobs,she was lorded over by bosses,fined for breakage,mistakes and no pay customers.

She thinks this girl has a good job.Easy work!her jobs were not easy.Besides that ,if this girl has a good heart,she might meet a falang with a good heart on the net!!!

Best Regards,Stan

P.S. As far as tipping goes,We tip 10-20 B in resturants,but when we go to the resturants where she worked,we tip 50-100 B under the table to workers she knew before and leave 20B on the tray for regular tip which is split amongst all staff.

>According to my wife,it is very common for a young Issan girl to be working a job that allows her to sent 2,000B home each month.That is probably the motivation behind her working there.

That's the key point: somebody who can find a job in an Internet cafe, who has enough grasp of computers and enough of English, does not (im my gf's opinion) end up locked in the job with such a low salary and ridiculous hours.

>She thinks this girl has a good job.

Not a back breaking job, true. (my gf was doing all the jobs your wife had done, construction sites included).

The trouble is - that same job with higher salary, 10hrs per day and 1 day off per week can be easilly found elsewhere.

Still, she is judging the girl in question by her own standards and I would agree there is enough room for truth in what the girl is telling HT.

Sleeping on the floor: agree, quite common for rural Thais. My gf sometimes sleeps on the floor, besides the kings size empty bed.

HT - Agree with you 100% this is likely to be correct.

My GF, with a 2 year English language taught diploma in Hotel Management was trying to get a front office job in some of the Pattaya hotels recently. Couple offered her jobs for 3,500 baht a month up to 5,000 baht a month for a 12 hour shift 6 day week. Some of these were good 4* hotels.

The irony is that she left a hotel in Bangkok to go back to college to get a better job. She was earning more 2 years ago than they were offering her now. Staggering but true. her English is very comprehensive both written and spoken and I was appalled. I told her not to bother but she eventually found one paying 12,000 baht a month. We pay our maid more than these hotels were offering and she is dumb as s**t - costs me as much as her salary in replacing broken glasses and crockery than she keeps breaking....

Cheers

"She says she is happy.At this stage of her life she is accomplishing her "goal" probably doing something she really enjoys.Independant,lots of free time on the computer,relatively easy work and the long hours are probably not relevant.Her friends are probably developed from the pool of customers.Sleeping on the premises is a big plus.On the floor is probaly where she has slept her whole life."

I agree with your post.

The line between hours she actually works and is just here because it's her home may be blurred.

Hi Flashermac,

But isnt is so that teachers at government schools or just about everybody working "Ratchagaan" are entitled to a pension? And that their kids will be able to attend uni without paying much? And that they can have cheap loans?

That also counts for something or is this just something I imagine to have heard?

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi HamokHamok,

When I asked her when she last eat anything she said 'yesterday' thats right 24 hours earlier.

I can't last 4 hours without having to eat something.

Some life these people have.

Depending on the time a day yesterday could be only seconds away ::

Some BGs drinks, smokes and do drugs as well. That doesnt exactly promote their appetite.

There are plenty of BGs out there only eating once a day, so it doesnt mean that she hasnt eaten because of lack of funds but probably due to lack of appetite.

Besides, do you believe everything a bg tells you? :)

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Says HIGH THAIED:

If true, it really does make you think a little differently about the scene there. My God...... what integrity it must take to live like that, knowing you could just lay on your back for a few hours a month, for the same pay. Gotta have a very deep respect for someone like that.
:bow:

Respect . . integrity? Honestly what way can you comparatively have different levels of respect for your internet friend and a girl who is a prostitute? They both are in situations where there are no government support systems and if you want to eat you have to work. They are surviving first and hoping to improve their situation second.

I really don't see the connection for a person having more respect and integrity because she chooses to sleep on a shop floor and live her life in an internet shop for 3500bt a day instead of prostituting.

Did you ever consider that your friends "utils" are satisfied and she is quite content with her lot?

Personally, I have repsect for anyone that EARNS their money.

Archived