3,500 Baht/month ?

Says AF16:

What would a girl working in a restaurant (not bar), ordinary waitress, earn in BKK?

Depends on the restaurant but anywhere from 4000-5000bt range.

I have a friend that works in one of the Chinese restaurants in lower Suk in the tourist area, she makes approx 5500bt per month which includes the tips that they share. Working hours are 9am-midnight

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fast Food Restaurants pay 23 to 28 baht per hour. Were paying 6000- 6500 for counter help which comes out to 32 baht per hour and had over 400 applications. Mgrs normally make 6,500 per month. Were paying 10,000 Baht and no shortage of people wanting to work.

The reason for low wages is the system itself. In the States, if you pay more than 11% gross for rent on a fast food store, you're nuts. More than 7% on a full service restaurant and you are putting a gun to your head. Wages are 30- 34% of gross.

In Thailand, the rent averages 23 -35% of gross while labor is usually less than 5%. Translation? the rich get richer (Landlords) while the poor get poorer. 40% Food cost( Farang Food) + 35% for rent. Does not leave a lot of room for utilities( higher here than the States), advertising, royalty fees and then you have wages! Many restaurants find who has to get the short end of the stick has to be the employees in many cases.

A waiter provided what I though was good service on Sunday at Gulliver?s. I asked him if he made 6,000 Baht per month as he spoke good English. He had a look of shock " No, just 5,000 Baht, the typical wage) That?s in fact what most make looking at over 200 restaurant books in the past year....5,000 Baht.

sorry but not too sure what's the big fuss about here?

B3.500 or 'minimum' wage B180/h???

so does people on the lowest salery starve or live? stupid question really, but as this is a group/family society it all really boils down to the economical situation for the whole lot, but take B3500 & one can house & feed severel people easily in the country side or she can live a basic life in bkk.

now is this kind of salery in thailand the rock buttom locally or globally? far from it, but that doesn't mean she may not be having a tough life compared to an unemployed on welfare in say US?

how much does a begger(or make that the exploited illegal immigrant from the south) on the street in your hometown make?

saw an honest & funny one the other day holding up a sign saying: "why lie: I need another beer", while your typical sign would try to talk to your pity a bit more...

1. how much do you recommend tipping a person working in an internet shop bkk?

2. how much do you recommend tipping the person at kings head london?

3. how much do you recommend tipping the person serving your B500++ meal at a 5* suk hotel restaurent?

4. how much do you recommend tipping the dek serve at your preferred gogo?

I hope you tip fairly & consistently :drunk:

Good point,

I don't tip the guy at the Kings Head anything, 201 baht for a beer is expensive and the beer is not the best quality and you certainly aren't paying for the surroundings.

Internet cafe I tip nothing, 500 baht meal I would tip 60 baht if the service is good.

At a beer bar I would thrust 50 baht in to the girls hand so its hers to keep.

Preferred Dek Serv if I had been there a while I tip 100 baht.

Gullivers I havent a clue havent been there.

If I lived there maybe less, but tipping generously not stupidly ensures good treatment when I go back

STH

take B3500 & one can house & feed severel people easily in the country side or she can live a basic life in bkk.

--------------------------------

We tend to forget that there are more than daily and monthly expenses.

Don't want to bring in the sick buffalo story, but i 'll be darned if our long time expats and visitors don't agree with me that, in a country like Thailand, a lot of doodoo happens, accidents or sickness requiring hospitalization (not just her, someone ion the family), a bad loan needed to be repaid back home, etc...

These "bad luck' events seem to happen quite frequently from where I stay in Thailand.

It's often in such cases that a girl may have to devise a way to raise money, and maybe work in the NIGHTLIFE. Somehow, many of us don't get it and want to have us thinking you really have on one side the poor but moral GTGs and on the other side the BGs born with a moral defect. As long as one thinks like that, very little chance to know what's going on beyond one's own nose. IMO

don't get me wrong here.

I've never said anything about BG's being moral defects & surely it wasn't just them being a bit too horny that prompted them to enter the trade in the 1st place.

but as an responsible & thinking ahead capable people the thai's are I'm sure they'll put a bit aside for unforeseen events ahead or would the sick buffolo already be accounted for in the montlies ::

Archived