3,500 Baht/month ?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi HT,

I did say it's a scam, just mentioned it as one of the possiblities.

Can't just see a Thai girl working that much for so little, unless its family related, or she works as a maid/ baby sitter with free board and lodging.

The fact that she's still there at 3 AM might indicate the student option.

Another possibility might be that she isn't Thai, but Burmese, Chinese, etnic minority etc. They often work such hours for little pay.

You've seen her on webcam. Can you describe her without going into details, like how old do you think she is?

virtually everyone on the board or who visits LOS, are they ones who don't understand

--------------------------------------

and if we understand, that's when we stop judging them or throwing the "moral code" book at them. There are girls in Pattaya, who sleep under the counter of the bar they work at, and if a farang shows up for a drink, they have to wake up, and serve the guy.

This said, let's go ahead in time and think about the girl who made some out of of it. This is where i am appalled at the waste I see of their earnings, and i am not talking sending money to the family.

I don't know how many times I have heard of money lent and never given back, 5, 10 000 bahts. This is nothing, all the GFs i have had from the scene, including the current one, do spend 10 000 as easily as 100 bahts.

as i often say, they can do with 50 a day, no problem, 10 000 a day, can do too, no problem.

And it is not because they expect another 10 000 to fill in soon in their wallet, because I have witnessed them being in dire straits after spending as much as 30, 40 000 bahts on unnecessary items like a 10/15 000 cell phone (I always bought mine used, 2000 at most, cool little one too), clothes of course (no need to bargain anymore, money is in the pocket), drinking binges with the GFs, etc....

It comes with the territory, I guess, first in the scene to bring in money, then the scene itself enters the girl's brain (you can take the girl out the bar but, etc...), it becomes a lifestyle, nothing too rotten IMO, but my God, as a thai, you can start a little business in Thailand with 50 000 bahts, and how many times have I seen this sum pass thru their hands and gone up in smoke.

rmorris22 said

".....climbing up on my soap box......

And then there are the Farangs that pride themselves on the ability to go to a go go bar, grope half of the girls not buy a lady drink.

Or the Farang that will post on every board available about how he got ripped off or scammed for 50 baht. A lousy $1.25.

Or the Farang so proud of his negotiating skills that he got the BG for 800 instead of 1000....... or even free.

Or the Farang that is so in tune with Thai Culture that he knows it is a no tipping society and never leaves a tip and will get pissed if it is apparent someone wants a tip.

Has it ever crossed anyones mind that you can actually double an average Thai's standard of living for a lousy 5 dollars a day?"

i have to agree with all all of these observations.

have met falang men who have boasted to me about how they have done all the above and looked pleased........ :banghead:

i made sure i never spoke to them again.

Hi HT,

I recall talking to a couple of waitresses working at Guest Houses in Bkk. They were making the same amount 3.500 bht a month working long hours as well from 7 am to 10 pm. But at least they had their meals for free and a room to sleep in.

I have been coming to this particular GH for the last 10 years and most of the staff is still around. So I guess they cannot be too dissatisfied.

Met a thai guy in Mae Sot who had a burmese working in his gold shop for 500 bht a month. Same same in Ranong several guys working at a local hotel got paid 1200 bht a month and when I tried to tip one of them while he was repairing the power line in my room he wouldnt accept it. "It was not allowed by the manager" :::

When I mentioned this to the manager she confirmed and said that they were paid "very handsomely already!" No need for tipping. :censored:

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Went with a girl from one of the bars in Pattaya recently. I asked her if she wanted to get something to eat and she said yes.

When I asked her when she last eat anything she said 'yesterday' thats right 24 hours earlier.

I can't last 4 hours without having to eat something.

Some life these people have.

>Works at an internet shop in BKK. When asked where she lived, she said Don Muang (airport) area. She has always maintained that she makes 3,500 a month......but get this! She works from 9:00am until 2:30am. Yea, you are reading that right. 17.5 hours a day/7 days a week. Never a day off.

HT, I just spoke to my gf and conveyed your story. Here is another opinion for you.

Her first reaction was - the girl of yours is, nothing less than the owner of the shop!

She moderated her original stand a bit by saying - nobody stays all day/night in a shop, only the owner or his/her deputy.

Then, she gave me some facts:

A friend of hers (I know her too) used to work in an Internet shop (the cluster of shops next to the Ambassador hotel) and the money was 6K Bht, hours 12 (noon) to 10pm. 10 hours with lunch break, 6 days a week.

In my gf's hometown (15km from Cambodian border), in a similar shop (mostly children come in to play games), the money is 5500Bht for same hours.

In short, she can't believe it's only 3500Bht for hours that are rather impossible.

Most shops have rooms upstairs, if that and food are in the deal, with hours down to 10 and 2-4 days off per month - that works out 5500-6000Bht per mont in that area of BKK.

Or, as orandanodes said, she could be an advanced illegal immigrant forced to accept anything.

In Ko Samui, girls sleeping inside the bar is very commmon. Usually the bars stay open till the last customer is there 5-00 am or later at times....

I have rolled up at the bar at 10-00 am and they have all been asleep in the bar (like new born puppies in a basket). They haven't woken up for me, but I didnt press the matter...

STH

Believe it or not, it's not uncommon for a Thai with a bachelor degree to start teaching at a private school -- or even a government school for 7,000 baht a month. Thai wages tend to be on the very low side. My university salary sucks (in my opinion and most other Farangs' too). But when Thais hear what I make, their eyes light up and they wonder what I do with "all that money".

Archived